Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress (Von Mises vs. Tresca vs. Int Principal) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPZ

Mechanical
May 4, 2014
BR
Dear Colleagues,

I have one issue regarding the Von Mises, Tresca, Int. Principal Stress application in FEM.

- When I may use one or another (for example, which I can use to ABS or PP material and for one regular Steel material)?
- What are te difference between them?
- What is the best for compression or tension or shear strain/stress or is there some relationship)?

All information and examples are alaways welcome!!!!

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'll like this video
Bear in mind that Von Mises and Tresca are only applicable to ductile materials, and for a material like reinforced concrete you'll have to use other models like ones described in the CEB-FIB codes.

In my field at least for steel the results of all FE analyses more complicated than a grillage or slab are based on the Von Mises stress criterion. Many codes are also based upon it e.g. the eurocodes for steel. As an example the criteria for welds is essentially the Von Mises Stress criterion. Its a very good criterion from which the bending and shear stress components in all principal directions are resolved to give an "equivalent stress" in which it can be compared to the yield stress of steel. Obviously this equivalent stress will be useless if the element is in compression and is susceptible to buckling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back