Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress Von Mises 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdc02254

Aerospace
Oct 9, 2003
GB
Hello all,

Please bear with me as I am very new to this. I have carried out an analysis on a bracket made from 2016-t6. The displacement results have proven quite accurate against a physical destruction test i have carried out.
However I have a limited knowledge of interpreting the results in the Stress Von Mises analysis.

The model display red areas in the right places which indicate on the key 2.056e+02 and the units are N/mm^2.
But this is whare my knowledge falls down.

What does it mean??

I am applying a load of 19600N to the object. How does this result corelate? What does it mean???

Please be patient, I am trying (very trying).

Regards

CDC02254

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the Von Mises stress is greater than the Yield Strength of the material, there will theoretically be a permanent deformation in the part. If the VM Stress is greater than the Ultimate Tensile Strength, the material will theoretically break.

Your stress is 2.056e+2 N/mm^2(or 205.6 MPa)

Properties for 2024-T351 Aluminum are: (I don't know about 2016, so please adjust for that)

Ultimate Tensile Strength 441 MPa
Yield Strength 290 MPa

Therefore your sample would exceed the yield strength based on using VM stress. The metal will never return to it's original state after the force is released. Repeated cycling would fatigue the material and eventually it would break. This is why you would want to design with some safety factor. e.g. A safety factor of 2 would mean you design such that your Von Mises never exceeds 290/2 MPa

~Jeff~

SolidWorks 2006 SP3.1 on WinXP SP2
Pentium(R)4 CPU 3.60GHz 1.00GB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back