Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stresses caused by eccentricty at a top of a brick pier

Status
Not open for further replies.

As-Lag

Structural
Aug 6, 2019
GB
Hello

I am trying to assess the stresses in a pier supporting a beam and attached is a pier.jpg showing the arrangement. The applied loads may be considerable so I need to get the stresses right.

I have a beam that is sitting on a padstone by 215mm with a triangular stress-block applied to the padstone. The action passes through the cg of the stress block. The moment applied to the padstone causes a further stress block in the masonry with the maximum pressure applied to the edge-bricks.

Or. If the beam is sufficiently rigid so as not to curve at the bearing, could I assume a rectangular stress-block and have the load distributed across the padstone which I have shown as a blue line in the stresses.jpg. This then would give a rectangular stress-block in the masonry.

Also, when considering the stresses at mid-height and bottom of the pier, would the eccentricity of the bearing have any effect on the pier.

Regards

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9f959151-f9dd-4590-a9f8-c4c52177da40&file=stresses.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back