Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strong, flexible material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norse

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2001
US
I'm looking for a non-metallic material that will deliver > 50% elongation at break and flex modulus > 800ksi. Is this possible to achieve with composites?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A quick search using matweb did not yield anything that I would consider to meet your criteria. The modulus that you are requesting is just beyond that of most engineering thermoplastics (PEEK is one of the highest unreinforced at ~ 600 ksi). It is easily obtainable with only a slight addition (5-10%) of glass fiber, however, this lowers the elongation to failure, usually less than 10%.

Perhaps you could elaborate on your request, and maybe we can come up with something suitable. You can try your own search using the following link:

I have already checked matweb.

What I'm looking for is a material that can be used for a rod with diameter of .014" and a length of 75" that will not behave like a wet noodle and that will not break easily when flexed.

Arne

Sounds like a fishing rod. Unidirectional prepregs, glass or carbon will work for rods like this if they are oriented more circumferencially than longitudinal. Search for a site on fishing rod construction.

If you are looking for high elongation at failure - you should look at fibers used in ballistics applications. The name of the game there IS high elongation and energy dissipation.

Carbon and glass are too brittle to work as a continuous pultruded product. You might get there with some kind of discontinuous media.

as far as achieving a modulus of 800 ksi, I imagine that it won't be difficult. Kevlar has a Young's Modulus of 60 to 180 GPa, depending on type. Even a low fiber volume in a composite will give you the 800 ksi you seek.

I could really narrow the field for you if I knew more about the application....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back