Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strong, hardenable, corrosion resstant steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

legrand01

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2010
US
Hello everyone,

I have a product that needs a specific type of steel that I'm not familar with. I'm used to tool steels and the requirement for this job is that it needs to be:

-a steel that can be hardened
-should have some sort of corrosion resistance
-must be impact and abrasion resistant

The current material being used is carbide, but you can't easily put threads on carbide, hence the desire to use a material that can be post-process hardened. I'd use something like A2 or D2 but it would rust too quickly I fear. This is obviously being used outside.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend Ferrium S53. It is a 10Cr steel, so it's in-line with the corrosion resistance you're looking for - much better than non-stainless alloys but not a 316 stainless type. It has 53-55 Rc hardness, through hardened with ~70 ksi-sqrt(in) fracture toughness typical (50 is the design minimum). Possibly because it's carbide strengthened, like a tool steel or 440C, it has a lot better wear resistance than the PH stainless alloys. It's in the same alloy family as the Ferrium C61 mentioned earlier, but it is corrosion resistant and through hardened.

Why not a high work hardening alloy in the hadfields steels?

Or is that the astraloy_v?

If they wear very slowly, then they could cost more per unit, but have more value.

Nick
I love science!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back