Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Aluminium General Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianium500

Structural
Dec 3, 2008
US
Does anyone have any general notes for structural aluminum they wouldn't mind sharing as a sample? I have something written up, but would like to see if others have done so themselves and if we can get a standard going?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What country? Code? Structural only or also piping, flashing, conduits, etc.?

These all would significantly affect general note content.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Typically for generating general notes, the best thing is to get a good quality specification section on the topic at hand and then peel out of it the essential commands, products, and requirements needed -
Putting these in a listed note format versus a CSI or other specification format.

faq731-376

Do you have an aluminum specification to work off of?
We don't have any aluminum general notes as standards - when we do have structural aluminum our notes would simply call out the material specifications (6061-T6, etc.) and then refer to the "all work shall be in accordance with the Specifications for Aluminum Structures, by the Aluminum Association, Incorporated.

Also - something like this: All welding shall comply with the Structural Welding Code - Aluminum, AWS D1.2, by the American Welding Society.

faq731-376

That's what I got so far. I was looking for a standard on line to see if anyone has come across this, and this is the best I have found so far.

STRUCTURAL ALUMINUM:

1. STRUCTURAL ALUMINUM SHALL BE DOMESTIC ALLOY 6061-T6, DESIGNED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ALUMINUM ASSOCIATION'S SPECIFICATION FOR ALUMINUM STRUCTURES, LATEST EDITION.

2. FASTENERS: UNLESS DETAILED OTHERWISE, ALL FASTENERS SHALL BE 316 STAINLESS STEEL. ALUMINUM BOLTS, WHERE SPECIFIED SHALL BE 2024-T4 OR 6061-T6 ALLOY.

3. ALL WELDING SHALL CONFORM WITH AWS D1.2, LATEST STRUCTURAL WELDING CODE-ALUMINUM.

4. WHERE THE CONTACT OF DISSIMILAR METALS MAY CAUSE ELECTROLYSIS OR WHERE ALUMINUM WILL COME IN CONTACT WITH CONCRETE, MORTAR OR PLASTER, THE CONTACT SURFACE OF THE ALUMINUM SHALL BE COATED WITH 1 COAT OF ZINC CHROMATE PRIMER AND ONE HEAVY COAT OF ALUMINUM PIGMENTED ASPHALT PAINT.

I feel as engineers, we should really standardize our general notes, and only edit them for project specific requirements. We should have the same notes for concrete, as s standard industry minimum, same notes for steel...etc. My opinion is that it would help streamline construction, because the contractors wouldn't have any excuse in saying that other engineers don't have the same requirements. It's like driving a car, if I get in a Toyota, any model, for the most part all the buttons are and features are in the same spot. However, if I get in a Ford, it's different. We shouldn't allow too many differences. It would certainly help our industry and protect each other from lawsuits. Any thoughts on this?

HELLO
I am more familiar with the "Aluminum Design manual" also put out by the Alum association. I have the full copy of this. I do not recall the specific differences at this time to the above.
BUT. Who is the designer? General notes can not take the place of design details and structural selections, unless this is for a engineering contractor and not the building contractor. Especially if you have to stamp the drawings as the PE.

I think you should provide ASTM references for the shapes, similar to what we do with structural steel. I would also list the ASTM's you want for the fasteners. You need weld electrodes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back