Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Analyis Software Recommendation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAStrEngr

Structural
Jan 4, 2010
US
I would appreciate if anyone who currently uses any type of structural analysis software could provide some reviews and/or suggestions for a reliable software package that I can pitch to my company.

We are a multi-disciplinary engineering firm (50 employees) and our structural needs range from the design of small buildings and frames to large storage tanks and pipelines. Any software package has to be versatile enough to handle a large variety of designs and include all the major building materials (wood, concrete, and steel).

We currently use a very dated version of RAM Advanse but given the pace that technology has progressed, I would like to explore options for whatelse might be out there.

I have heard of the Risa software and some of the other big names but would like to hear from people who use the software before looking into it too far.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RISA is dirt simple to use so it is my favorite. A newbie can pick it up and be able to do most things in a few hours.

SAP can be good for complex larger models, but it sometimes it is too smart for its own good so I tend to stay away if I can avoid it.

Never used STAAD

I downloaded the Risa3D demo and almost thought "I must be doing something wrong because this is so easy to use".

Do you find the STAAD to be of a higher caliber than Risa3D? For instance, is the Risa software too arcade like or just as good of a calculation tool?

Well I learned on STAAD and have been using it for a pretty long time. I did recently check out Visual Analysis. It seemed a little awkward, but then again, I've been using STAAD a long time now.

RAM SS can export to CAD.

RAM SS is great for relatively simple buildings with a lot of repetition. It does have its limitations, though.

Risa is simple to use and can carry out a rigorous 2nd order analysis (required for Appendix A of AISC). It also permits you to set up detailing templates for concrete members. Haven't doen wood design in RISA, though..

Will you need to do finite element analysis? Will you need to do seismic design?

My suggestion is that you download a trial version of the software. SAP 2000 v. 14, RISA, have trial versions for free download. They also have excellant tutorials to learn the software. Unfortunately Staad does not have a free download.

If you need to do FEA and seismic I would recomment SAP2000.

DHK

I have used Algor, STAAD XX, STAAD-Pro,mTab-Stress, and RISA 3D. I currently use RISA 3D. Older versions of STAAD were very "buggy". After STAAD-Pro it got better.

Agree that tech support at RISA is excellent.

I worked with SAP, ETABS, AxisVM and Robot. Currently I am using STAAD. So far, my experience is that construction industry (in North America though) doesn't have a good structural analysis software. Let me elaborate.
I think STAAD fails in all aspects (user interface, available elements, solver, meshing, speed, stability, help,etc...) - I would recommend to avoid at any cost. SAP is better, good solver, but very poor UI, meshing capabilities and reporting. Autodesk bought Robot, looks ok however no proper documentation - very frustrating. Haven't tried RAM or RISA.
Honestly, I am envy at our colleagues in auto or aerospace industry who can utilize general purpose FE like Abaqus or Nastran.

Chalk up another vote for RISA.

Abusement: I haven't personally used it but RISA has a floor module you can use for multistory applications, automatic load generation etc. Works hand in hand with RISA 3D. I have a couple colleagues who use the program and have heard no complaints.

sasa2k - You can use Abaqus in your work. Theres nothing to prevent that except the $75,000 price tag. Unless you want to lease and that runs about $25,000 per year. Also it has a very robust manual to help learn the software.

Our offices make use of a variety of general purpose FEA programs, such as SAP2000, GT-STRUDL, STAAD, MIDAS, and many more specific use software programs. Overall, we find that more and more staff migrate to SAP. My own preference is GT-STRUDL.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back