Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Analysis of Dynamic Wind Load on Wind Turbines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhombuss

Structural
Dec 13, 2004
US
Is there a general guideline for analysis of dynamic wind loads on wind turbines (specifically for wind-power generation)?

(1) Would the frontal wind area of the rotor decrease or increase as the result of the blades rotating? More simply, even, would the frontal wind area under consideration be taken as the area of a stationary rotor, or some function of the entire sweep area?

(2) For a very large wind turbine, roughly 100 metric tonnes in weight, would the centripedal forced caused by the movement of the rotor induce significant 2nd order effects on the tower mast and foundation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest you contact NREL (Nat Renewable Energy Lab) in Colorado. One of their folks might be able to help you or provide a contact into industry who might.

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

I think designing one of those would more resemble designing an airplane than it would, say, a building. Whoever designed that blade should have the best idea of the wind force on the blade.

As to the magnitude of different effects, you'd have to design and see. And come to think of it, a wind load ought to create a crosswise moment in the tower, which would vary depending on the power output.

I can foresee a whole host of related problems- wind loading, vibration, designing for a wide range of wind speeds AND a wide range of rotor speeds, shifts in wind direction, ice buildup, fatigue, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back