Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural data for wood in wood frame building

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline12

Aerospace
Jan 27, 2011
US
Not being in this field, I do not have many resources for wood structures data to apply to a new structure. Will be constructing a wood pole style building and need to design for live loading. can anyone offer any links or resources for this data?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing I have noted in some house construction is all the static snow loading design in the roof trusses but next to nothing in the way of securement of the trusses to the wall structures. Actually, in most of them, just toe nails are all that exist!! Obviously with an overhang, it would not take much at all to "pull the lid off". I intend to install something to get some bolts in full sheer holding the roof on. I know on a pole building, those poles are not coming out. My largest concern is those extreme winds on such a wide/tall/flat wall. Makes me want to add a radius to "something" lol... Talk about a construction nightmare...

I highly recommend you visit Simpson Strong Tie and become familiar with thier connection plates.

There are days when I wake up feeling like the dumbest man on the planet, then there are days when I confirm it.

fastline12

What state are you located in?

If it is an exempted building, I might be able to assist in the design. However, I am a building designer. If you are in a state that exempts SFRs under both architect and engineer's law. I could possibly work out the calcs.

However, I am in Oregon so exemption exists in both architect law or engineer law so I don't have to have an engineer's license to design houses and run the structural calcs if it is within my area of competence. This does not mean, I go around calling myself an engineer. (I'll double check what this forum is categorizing me...)

I have various manuals that depicts much of how to engineer posts, beams, pole and other timber structures.

If needed, an S.E. can be brought on board.

Your area of expertise is in aerospace and that would be a very different field and your area of expertise would only be best applicable in determining aerodynamics of the building and how it might perform under extreme winds. However, we aren't trying to make the house fly.... LOL!

With tornados, it might be worth considering aerodynamics of the building's form and allow the tornado to ride over. I would require the roof to be entirely tied and anchored to grown with each anchor with 1 Million psf pull up strength and anchored at intervals not exceeding 24" o.c.

I would consider possibly a lamella roof.

Also, a low profile that doesn't allow for wind uplift and if any roof uplift begins, that there is a lot of anchor to prevent uplift force. Lack of roof overhang (or that it continues to the ground and not allow there to be a lip in the roof to lift the roof. Not having it project above the ground plain would be important. However, I would be concern about flood plains so ideally such would not be in a flood plain area or subject to floods.

BUILDING DESIGNER - NOT A PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER

Those poles do come OUT!!! Seen it a few times. One building looked perfectly good after the storm - but it was about 250 yards from where it was built. You need to use some sort of footing or "cookie" tied to the bottom of the pole and held down by concrete or maybe soil!!

Simpson and USP make great truss connectors - use them ALWAYS!!

As others have indicated, adequately tying the members together with metal timber ties is an essential key. I would also recommend that you beef up the roofing connections at critical areas such as eaves and ridges.

There is no guarantee but there are things you can do to increase your chances.

the cable anchoring system is an interesting idea though getting these adequately anchored into the ground would be the difficult part.

Mike,

with Poles, special connectors maybe required but for trusses, they shall be engineered and have the appropriate connectors. I am not sure if Simpson connectors are rated for eF3 or eF4 or even ef5 class tornados. They use the eF system nowadays. or EF (whatever).

The bottom line, we are talking about piles or something like that.

Piles that are linked by a grade-beam that also serves as pile caps. If you prevent the roof from being pulled up, you might also be able to prevent the poles from being pulled up (if they are inside.

BUILDING DESIGNER - NOT A PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back