Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Structural Demolition Plan 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillR

Structural
Jan 15, 2007
US
How many of you regularly provide a structural demolition plan for remodel/addition projects? Is there some project size where you would add one? Does anyone think providing a structural demo plan moves the responsiblity of the contractor onto the engineer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I often provide demolition plans on renovation projects of any significant scale. That said, it's a demolition plan in the sense that I'm describing the scope of what needs demolishing, not usually how a contractor ought to go about executing that demolition.

Usually depends on the building type for me. Load bearing walls? I'll let the architect handle it as there'd be too much overlap. Frame building with partitions? The architect will show partition demo and I'll show frame demo.

About all I typically do is box in something on the drawing and just mark it as to be demo'd.

A lot of times I have to do that because something (new) is going in where the object (to be demo'd) currently is.

But like the others have said: I don't tell them how to do it (unless asked).

I've always relied on the architectural demo plan to cover it, but have gotten involved in an argument on the topic, so ...

In many cases I am working on projects (thankfully) without architects. (I.e. heavy industrial.) So I have to alert the contractor to things like that.

If structural demolition is required, then we show it because its part of the project scope. I will not require the means and methods to do it, but I will sometimes spell out a suggested sequence of demolition (i.e. how I would do it). I will also flag critical structural items that the contractor should be aware of when preparing his demo sequence, such as load bearing walls or other items that may not be intuitively load bearing or critical. We also flag the removal of slabs that brace the compression flange of beams or diaphragms that could affect a member's load carrying capacity if they are removed and the load is not.

I do it all the time, but typically in the context of remodeling or adding to a bridge... so a little different from your intent.

Even in building projects... sequence can often be important. I can see cases where it would be valuable to somebody to have that described. Depends on the contractor whether they'll see it as valuable info.

Never provided demo plans specifically, don't intend to. Arch provides demo plans.

Doesn't mean never saying anything about what existing items might need to be "demo'd" but not a standalone plan. Specific notes on the new construction documents would cover things like remove/replace items, etc.

I do demo plans, but work in heavy industrial/mining, so no arch plans, and the clients expect us to inform the contractor on demo sequencing for safe demolition. If not sequenced contractors will just start torching bracing away in any way that is convenient for them.

I will provide demo plans when there is existing to remain and there is a structural load path that must be understood to perform the demolition / new work. If it is completely removed to the ground the arch. will have it all.

Similar to canwesteng, in mining / heavy industrial it's been my experience in Australia that a demolition sequence / or construction methodology is usually required by clients, especially for modifications to existing structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back