Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Design Checklist? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jheidt2543

Civil/Environmental
Sep 23, 2001
US
Building codes are continually revised and becoming more complex, whether they are the overall model codes or material specific like ACI for concrete, ASIC for steel or AITC for wood. Also, the codes don't seem to be arranged in a logical way for easy use in design (they have their own logical format).

I am wondering what kind of design checklist or flowchart my fellow engineers use to help track their way thru all the steps of the code maze to ensure a necessary step is not missed. What I am thinking of is a step by step, project generic process that starts with the defining of the problem, code requirement checks, definition of design loading, framing system layout and then through material specific designs.

How do you maintain a complete and consistant approach to design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Broad question (but a good one)!

I check every member in a structure, regardless of material, for the following:

Bending moment
Shear
Deflection
Bearing on supports
Axial stress
Development (applies to concrete only)
Flexural cracking (applies to concrete only)
Torsion
Connections

Not every item applies in every situation, of course. DaveAtkins

Hi seniors

I am relatively a young engineer and know computers very well. I feel it is very important for engineers to know manual calculation methods ( or say basics of structural analysis) to recheck the output of computers. I did manual calculation for first year then I got chance to work on computers.

I have seen some seniors to made mistake in manual calculations and similarly in computer input. I feel it depends on person and not on age or experience that how he want to do design. Some time I feel very confident in my computer input but still check manual the behavior of structure.

Computer is essential for structural design now, I think its very good tools for some complex structure where still behavior is not clear.

Every engineer should try to compare the result of computer and manual for some time this approach will give the feel of computer accuracy and simultaneously learning the basics.

I tripped over some thing the other day that was exactly what you are talking about. it waqs in workbook form, and i just glanced at it and bookmarked it. I will try to find it again in the next day or two and out the link on here...i may be buying it if it does what it promised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back