Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Design Considerations for Fire Station Design in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdur_Rasheed

Structural
Jan 29, 2018
PK
Hi everyone!
I have to design a fire station and i want to use concrete as a structural material. What structural design considerations/factors i need to use for seismic , wind load and Snow load while designing fire station? The importance factor for Earthquake will be 1.5 as per IBC , and ASCE but i need more information.
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you need to verify the local building code in effect as it may have amendments to the model building code. Other than that as risk category 4 building you will have the highest important factors on all your environmental loads seismic (like you said), wind will have higher design speed and snow will be 1.2.

If you're in a seismically active region this will probably the most impact on your seismic requirements. There are special requirements for detailing of your lateral system resisting element that may cone in effect and other limitations. It all depend on the project location.

btw, it is a very broad spectrum question you have asked.
Start with getting your loading and schematic framing and lateral system done and then you will be able to ask more questions as they come up....

Dear Ron!
Sir i am not doing actual design although i want to do it for learning purpose. I am interested how to design any fire resistant structure as its design methodology would be different than normal buildings. I asked about fire station in USA because i searched on google and found numerous fire stations but there were not enough data available.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back