Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Design of Egyptian Pyramids 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakeelahsan

Civil/Environmental
May 11, 2009
US
Dear All,

I was wondering if anyone has done a research on the structural design of Egyptian Pyramids.

I am interested in the design, looking forth to design a similar type of structure on modern lines.

Your input is highly appreciated as always.

Regards,

Engr. Shakeel Ahsan
Director Engineering
CMEC - Pakistan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I didn't think that there really was anything real significant about a pile of rock in terms of structural engineering. Gravity does its job and the rocks axial crushing capacity is capable.

I think it's at least partially covered in the book, Why Building Fall Down, or the similar Why Buildings Stand Up.

I remember seeing a diagram about a pyramid (not one of the great pyramids) that changed its angle of inclination halfway through construction because they were having issues. They then went onto explain why the other angle (the one used for the great pyramids) is more efficient.

I'm going completely off of memory. So, I could be thinking about a different book....

For the rest of you who like these types of books, one of my favorites is "The History of Strength of Materials" by Timoshenko. It's a bit dry, but it's also really interesting to get engineering biographies of Euler, Young, Kirchoff, Mohr, and such.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back