Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Design of Free Standing Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

2meterman

Structural
Dec 6, 2006
US
I have a new project to design a free standing sign for a local business. Originally they wanted to place the sign on their roof, but the roof and wall are not strong enough. Framing modifications could be done, but they would be cost prohibitive. I have a fair idea on how to go about the design, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good reference book with design examples for single pole and double pole signs.

The sign company that will be fabricating the sign also wants me to design the steel framework for the sign itself. I plan on designing it as a rigid frame.

I would very much appreciate any thoughts on a reference manual or the design process for the sign.

Thanks for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The sign is an internally illuminated sign. The owner wants a sign that is 8'high x 26' long. The lighting manufacturer states that the depth of the sign is 30" to allow for clearances from the lights inside the sign.

The vertical center of the sign will be approximately 34" above finished grade.

We are debating between a single pole or a double pole.
Do you think that an LED sign would allow for a reduction in the depth of the sign?

An LEd sign is usually in the realm of 12 to 20" depending on the manufacturer. But these are much more expensive than an internally illuminated sign.

The front face will act like a catenary tension fabric with horizontal supports along the top And C-shaped uprights (if one sided) or I shaped if 2-sided.

Usually circular sections are preferred for these uprights as light bounces around them better.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back