Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Structural design of staircase with split between steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdallah hamdan

Structural
Oct 13, 2021
PS
I want to design a staircase with a split between the staircase steps, shown in the attachments (step number 6), Do you have any ideas or any explanation of how to model and design such a staircase?
thanks in advance.

1213_ly0kgi.png
Capture_fcj5r0.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ooohh right
If it's steel just put in a central steel beam (rectangular or square section) with stubs welded up for each step
Chuck in two to support the landing

If it's concrete then just get them to form it up with the landing and make sure you stirrups then knees well and design all sections for the relevant moment

Your question really confused me. The stair at left picture seems to be cantilever from the RC wall . You may design the stair slab as cantilever from the wall .

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

it's a concrete stair, similar to this
141_fx9mtm.png

but it connected in the end to an RC wall (no free end), my confusion about the middle stair #6, it will cut the connection between the bars

HTURKAK, Sorry for the misunderstandings and confusion, the stair on the other side is connected with the slab but it is not shown in the images

BAretired, I make a detail just to make sure I understand you, does the detail for this stair look like this?
323_fpa80c.png

if not, any details for reinforcing this staircase?

abdallah hamdan said:
BAretired, I make a detail just to make sure I understand you, does the detail for this stair look like this?
No, my sketch was for a stair framed with steel beams, one of which was cranked in two places, each side or tread #6.

You do not show supports for the stair slab in your latest sketch. Draw a plan of the stair and landings and how you intend to support it.

The sketch below is taken from an article about a precast stair slab which collapsed under the weight of a single worker who was climbing the stair when it suddenly felt "spongy". Fortunately, he was agile enough to save himself by jumping onto a neighboring floor. See thread507-231262 for the complete article.

Location of supports is needed for design purposes. Otherwise, the location of points of inflection are not known. You have not provided the location of supports, which makes me wonder if you believe we are mind readers. Draw a stair framing plan, showing dimensions and where you intend to place supports.

The precast stair below had a span of "X", as shown in the sketch. That makes it a simple span, a very long one with a total of four cranks between supports.

Capture_ohpzoa.jpg

Engineers performing a review of the stair found no fault with design and detailing (see below), so be aware that you are playing with fire with this type of design.

Capture00_xsdgzy.jpg

Blue reinforcing should be in the bottom...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I think there are both top and bottom blue bars, dik, but blue on black is not very easy to see.

The sketch below shows two transverse beams. A third may be necessary between the bottom flight of stairs and the lower landing.

Capture_mysj2c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back