Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Structural Detailing Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhiggins

Structural
Oct 15, 2016
US
I've been using classic AutoCAD for all of my drafting and detailing over my entire career. I'm really fast and efficient doing it the old way, but I'm curious if there is a better way or newer specialized software to try out. The detailing process is super laborious and tedious so I'm looking at ways to streamline.

I've used REVIT on some projects, but I found it more time consuming and a bit clunky for making details. I do high-end custom residential and commercial projects in all materials, so flexibility and accuracy is key.

I was considering looking at ArchiCAD or other BIM programs but I'm totally unfamiliar with the rest.
Are there any good plugins to supplement AutoCAD?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What type of detailing? Tekla is used by many, and Autocad introduced Advanse steel to compete with it years ago. Revit is terrible for detailing if you have ever used tekla or another package aimed at this task.

In my experience, all BIM programs suck at the detailing aspect. In most cases it comes down to just adding linework to the intitial section cut, and hiding a whole bunch of other geometry/items that randomly show up in all of their section cuts.

I've said it before, and I'll continue to say it, BIM is more detrimental to a drawing set than it is a bonus.

BIM only helps with clash detection or large scale coordination, i.e. makes the prime consultants job a bit easier, but the drawing sets it produces without substantial additional effort is lacking.

jayrod12 said:
BIM is more detrimental to a drawing set than it is a bonus

I completely disagree with this. You can draw 2D details (drafting views) just as easily in Revit as in Autocad, and the drawing organization and collaboration ability is far superior.
The only drawback is that you have to put in the time in order get to the level where you truly benefit. Once you get to this point, our experience has been that drawing quality and productivity is far superior using Revit vs. Autocad.

Endless steel detailers will disagree with the assertion to use 2D. Good fabricators/detailing companies have things setup to speed up numerous aspects and keep track of the material at each step of the project. The main problem for most firms with BIM is it does not fit the traditional drafting model. Many I have worked with have not spent the time to create the tools needed, so they draft many details manually. If you stop that you will find it is far more accurate to use 3D.

That's fair, the issue we seem to have is with the Revit projects is none of the other consultant's detail their drawings until the last minute. Those last minute details end up driving last minute global changes to the drawings to accommodate everything properly. Resulting in poorly, or not at all, coordinated details since they've all been cranked out in the last 3 days before a deadline.

There's also not enough time to model everything to the level that makes it beneficial.

The CAD operators in our office are far faster at detailing in CAD than Revit. Except for a couple of our advanced Revit users. But everyone likely has different opinions.

All I know is I can look at a set of drawings and almost immediately tell you whether it was Revit or CAD. And it's usually because the Revit created drawing set looks lacking of detail.

Jay, I think you need to describe the context you mean by detailing. Detailing as in general arrangement dwgs most EORs produce, or detailing in the context of building the parts? The problem is your detailers are trying to use Revit for detailing in 3D. TS has so many tools that are far better for detailing. I am sure Advanse Steel does as well, but I am not familiar with those. I have had archs suggest I was to pay for their Revit models, and 90% I see are trash to take it to the point to build. They are fine for the outline, but so many other parts are poorly applied in their model. We tried using one large arch firms Revit created CAD files to detail steel stud, and about 1wk into it I regretted that. Endless parts were not precisely bound to planes where they need to be.

By detailing, I'm speaking of standard EOR drawing detailing, not fabrication detailing. So my experience is much like you describe at the end of your post Brad. Inadequately prepared models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back