Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Structural Eng salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik1938

Structural
Aug 23, 2005
Similar to another post about wastewater eng salary. I live in Southern California, but I went to school in another state where I recieved my B.S. in Civil eng. I had about 6 months of experience as an intern at a structural company before I applied for my current job and that was 8 months ago.

My boss started me at $16.00/hr for 3-4 weeks until I was up to speed, so to speak. After that he said that we would talk salary. When the time came he told me that he could only pay me $37,500 / year or $18.00/hr. Now this is a small structural company so I am learning a lot. He hired me as an independent contractor, therefore I get no overtime, no medical, or paid time off.

I realize I should not start out making $60k but I think I am under paid. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I started out as an independent contractor, and got hammered on taxes. You have to pay "your" share and the employers share of social security. Basically you will be taxed twice for social security.

I would keep your eyes open for something better, and definitley leave on good terms! Future potential employers may be calling your current employer, and you don't want a bad rap.

I need some salary advice. I am looking to relocate to St. Louis. I'm a structural guy, recently got my PE, signed up for the SE this spring. I know I'm getting the shaft where I'm at now. I need to know what kind of range I should expect. I've got 5 years of experience. I know that might be obvious since I just got my PE but some people wait a while to take the test so I thought I should clarify.

My personal feeling is $27-$30 per hour. Please feel free to tell me if this is ridiculous. That's the kind of imput I'm searching for.

thats' about right...in my opinion anyway. with a PE and 5 years....you might actually be able to negotiate for more. somewhere in the mid to high 60's. i'd wait, until after you get the SE and see what your boss is talking about. plus, i wouldnt be doing all of that while changing jobs either.

I'm not interested in what my boss says. I need out of my current position. No oppurtunity, $23 an hour, and a bunch of headaches.

I agree with the fact that it might be easier to wait until after the test to change, but i'm been wanting to leave this job for two years. I couldn't because I needed PE/SE signoffs. I can't get out quick enough now.

well, you have your PE. where are you taking the SE at? where you are now, or in the lou? if you're not happy, leave. if it's that serious.....see if you can push the SE back, and put all of your time into testing the waters.

Taking SE in IL. Don't live in St. Louis but I'm guessing you do. I've only heard St. Louisans call it the lou.

I'm not too far away though (75 miles from Busch) I will probably commute for a short time while moving etc.

cjd97-If you have 5 years solid structural engineering experience AND have your PE I would rate you higher than $30 per hour. Of course, I would expect you to be able to manage several projects and lead designers and manage clients, etc, etc. I was making $32/hour in NC with no PE and less focused experience than you. Have you considered relocating? Maybe your COLI for your area is low ? Based on what I was making, I would guess you could bring in $35-$40/hour...If you wanted to really maximize your earnings for one year I would contract with a company. The guys I work with negotiated a far higher rate than I would have on my own. Plus, at my $32/hr rate, the contracting company was adding an hourly fee on top of that which they charged the company I actually did work for...And you know what, for some reason this ends up being cheaper for a company than to have a "full-time" employee. There is something about the way taxes are calculated that makes contract employees cheaper. So, you make more, they pay less. Everybody happy for a year. Engineering is so strong right now and should remain that way for another 6-8 years (based on previous cycles that some old timers related to me one day). They also told me rates are determined by the power industry, so as power engineer rates go up so do everyone elses'. I hope this communicates the idea. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back