Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Engineer: From Offshore/Oil&Gas ==> to Aeronautical sector. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlequin

Structural
Dec 9, 2010
FR
Dear Eng-tips colleagues:

Currently I am working as an offshore structural engineer in the oil and gas sector. The job is quite rewarding but might consider to move to my home town where there is no Oil & Gas. There is a relatively buoyant aeronautics sector though. The move will not happen now but maybe in a few years’ time.

With that idea in mind I am in the process of deciding what further training undergo (offered by my current employer in a quite diverse range of topics related to the energy sector).

Now my question to all of you: Do you have any idea of what subjects a structural engineer’s skills could be interesting for aeronautical companies? Any suggestions on what training would I need to change sector?

I feel a bit sorry for seeking your help coming out of the blue. I will participate more in the forums from now on

Thanks and congratulations to the forum's community

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

aero structures are all about compression and shear instabilities and redundant structures. your experience should give you a foundation, read bruhn (or niu).

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

If you are well grounded in fatigue damage and crack growth predictions, static strength analysis using both classical and Finite Element methods, then you should do very well in Aero-structures.

Also, the area on the aircraft you end up will also influence how successful your previously acquired skills and experience will help you to adjust quickly. I know off shore structural analyst have a lot in common with vibration fatigue, static strength, corrosion (environmental, standing stress, etc) and if you are very well grounded in these aspects, whether you end up in the structures or equipment world in aero-structures analysis, you will do very well.

The truth is that in the structures I handle fatigue is not an issue. To address this I have recently approached my discipline’s manager explaining my interest on the subject and have already started training in fatigue design. Corrosion will follow.

I hope that gradually will be more involved in the design of fatigue prone structures, hence acquiring the necessary skills for a career change in the future.

Thanks everybody for your advice and pointing me to the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back