Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Engineer role in subsea pipeline installation company

Status
Not open for further replies.

FB6917

Structural
Aug 10, 2013
BE

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post in this wondeful forum.So,please let me know if I've made any mistakes or breached any rules!
After couple of years working in Oil/Gas industry (onshore),I've made my big move to offshore industry and got a job offer from one of the famous subsea pipeline installation companies.

I wonder if anyone can provide me with some information regarding:

1) As a structural engineer employed by subsea pipeline installation contractor,what type of jobs and tasks I'd probably be involved?

2) For FEA,which software would be more helpful;Abaqus or Ansys?How can I get access to some structural models for subsea structures including PLEM,PLET,ILT,etc. to make myself familiarised.

3) Any reference books with worked examples to start with?What would be the reference codes?

4) While doing design for the structures within the pipelaying barge/vessel,what would be the boundary conditions?How do you model the vessel/barge as structural support?Hope it doesn't sound silly!

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Welcome FB6917,

1/ Probably you will get involved checking structurally the items to be installed during the various phases of installation (upending, lifting, sea-fastening during transportation, ...), together with their installation aids.
2/ The software will greatly depend on the company you work for and the client this service is provided to. In my case, we don't use Ansys.
3/ I have always used the know-how of the company I work for, through previous jobs. Codes would be mainly API and AISC together with the client's specs.
4/ You'll have (if not unlucky) the vessel/barge plan drawings showing its strong points and their capacity. The rest is all about choosing the right spreader to distribute the loads over the deck. I tend to avoid moment restraint for the supports as find it difficult to justify. And get used to springs (and selecting their right stiffness!)

Hope it helps, and good luck.

Thanks Arlequin.

Can you explain a bit more about the below:

"I tend to avoid moment restraint for the supports as find it difficult to justify. And get used to springs (and selecting their right stiffness!)"

I assume you design the structure as pin-ended but how do you choose the right value for spring stiffness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back