Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Engineering Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am looking to get a good structural engineering ref book. I looked at the Structural Engineering Handbook-Gaylord and saw that is was last published in '97. There is a newer book called Handbook of Structural Engineering-Chen. I am wondering, did the book by Chen "replace" the one by Gaylord?? Thanks!

Some of the PE exam guides are pretty good. Go to NCEES and I think the the company name is PPI or something like that. There are good.

I agree that the exam guides are good. The NCEES material is more like a practice exam. For general reference, I prefer "Structural Engineering Reference Manual" by Alan Williams. It's concise but really good.

the SERM from PPI is good, but best in conjunction with the CERM to get the full dose.

@imagine18 - Strictly from structural engineering principles point of view, the handbook by Gaylord & Gaylord is still one of the good ones. The codes keep changing every three years and so does reference manuals from ppi2pass, which are geared towards NCEES exam preparation.

I am personally a fan of Structural Analysis by Hibbeler (8th edition is current). I think the example and end-of-chapter problems are excellent.

Thanks everyone for the comments! We do have many of the ppi books as well as the Structural Analysis by Hibbeler. I appreciate all the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back