Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Engineering in Europe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

someengineer

Structural
Mar 9, 2009
CA
Hello all,

We are in the beginning stages of doing a project in Germany (structural steel and concrete) and this will be my first foray into using the structural Eurocodes and Annexes. I am very familiar with North American codes, but not well versed in the Eurocodes.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this situation? At this stage we are gathering information and wrapping our heads around the codes. I am basically looking for any lessons learned that anyone has when working in Europe when mainly your experience is North America.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Honestly, it's not that different. Steel is steel, concrete is concrete. If you understand structural behavior you should be in pretty good shape.

That being said, I find the EuroCodes to be cumbersome and not very intuitive. I'm speaking mostly of the steel code, because that's the one I've used the most. The Canadian, Australian and New Zealand codes are reasonably easy for me to pick up after some time away from them. But, the notation and organization of the EuroCode is always a struggle for me. It makes sense once you've gotten into it. But, once I'm away from it awhile, it feels like starting over again every time.

Some minor notes about differences:
1) AISC uses a single column curve whereas the EuroCode will base its curve on the shape type and axis of buckling and such.
The EuroCode is probably more theoretically correct in this sense.

2) Local buckling is handled differently and in a more complex manner than in AISC. More like what you do with AISI. I would skip this part of the code unless you find you have truly slender members where local buckling will control.

Welcome to our market:)
Don't take eurocodes as one code, there are pretty big differences in national annexes, actually that's German speciality. Also all bigger projects (calculations and plans) will be reviewed by so called pruefingenieurs. So it has to be done in German language and following national annexes of DIN EN.
If you will need help, post it on forum for Eurocodes.

I have (had!) been designing to British Standards for years.

Honestly, the Eurocode is the biggest load of rubbish I’ve ever come across. Still, I’m forced to use it now living in Ireland.

Always worth doing your own back of envelope checks with the code you’re familiar with though.

One more tip: there is no PE licence in Germany but there are some requirements for the main engineer depending on the state where your project is located. Mostly his/her diplom has to be recognised and has to have a certain experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back