Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Engineering in Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemiv

Structural
Dec 7, 2018
US
Hi all.

I'm licensed as PE in a few states for the company I work for, including Illinois. I was taking a look at the Structural Engineering Act, and wanted to confirm with some folks here that there are absolutely no exemptions to this act? I read in an IDFPR manual that single family homes are not even exempt, but what about agricultural buildings? Or for that matter, garden sheds or a backyard deck....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dauwerda - Maybe, but there are also some provisions about design/build entities. I agree about the use of prescriptive codes, as well...but you could always make the case that calculating spans and square footage to use with beam tables counts as "mathematical calculations."

To add to you point to r13, I believe an architect is not required but a SE would be. I think it's silly, but I can't read that language any other way.

cvg - a stamp is being required in this example, and all indications are that the USACE will accept PE. But I believe that per state law an SE is required, even though it's a farm building. And even with the garden shed example....if the gardener uses mathematical calculations to design it, he has to be an SE, regardless if there is a stamp involved. That;s the way I read it anyhow. Of course I highly doubt anyone would enforce it, but as the law reads...

LORS?

edit:

local ordinances, regulations, and statutes? There is no local stuff in this area, i.e. nothing to follow. It just falls back on the State. Of course, the local stuff can't be less restrictive than the State, anyway.

A person shall be regarded as practicing structural engineering within the meaning of this Act who is engaged in the design, analysis, or supervision of the construction, enlargement or alteration of structures, or any part thereof, for others, to be constructed by persons other than himself or herself.

Yes, I think the clause means a person can design and build a structure by himself, or herself, AND he/she is not in the supervision position. The definition of "supervision" holes key here.

hemiv said:
To add to you point to r13, I believe an architect is not required but a SE would be

Architects can practice structural engineering, when properly qualified to do so, but may not use the title “structural engineer.”

That's the confusing part. As long as the architect don't name him/herself as the "structural engineer", then he/she can practice structural engineering for the cases identified in A-D?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back