Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Structural Engineering in Seattle by P.E.'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWEng1

Structural
Nov 24, 2015
US
Are there any P.E.'s who have performed structural engineering in Seattle without an S.E. license? The Seattle Building Code states that only S.E.'s can perform structural engineering work in Seattle, with a few exceptions (such as for houses, shop drawings etc.)

After checking with the building department, however, P.E.'s are apparently sometimes allowed to perform structural engineering at the discretion of the building department on a case-by-case basis. The lack of concrete guidelines is making it very difficult to bid projects, when I don't know if I my work will be rejected by the building department after I submit.

If anyone with just a P.E. could share their experiences of performing structural engineering services in Seattle in terms of what the building department allows them to do, it would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have heard the same thing, although I have never investigated the situation because I am an SE and do not have to own the problem. I have noted Seattle being far more stringent, particularly in earthquake retrofitting, which is understandable, as well as multi-family, and storm water concrete detention vaults.

I think your best bet would be to call the SBD and ask to speak to the supervising structural engineer and get the direction from the horse's mouth.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

When you find out, repost here with the results. I would like to know too. Then again, I could take my own advice and call... :)

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

I was a structural engineer in Seattle in the '80s & '90s and the City required that a structural engineer do a lateral analysis on single family residences. Everything bigger had to have full structural analysis. Civil wasn't accepted for structural at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back