Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Engineering Library suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuckleberryFinn

Structural
Dec 24, 2010
US
All,

I'm in the process of comparing some books from my own personal library to that of my colleagues in the workplace and quite frankly, I'm finding several of my books somewhat lacking.

I was hoping you could recommend/comment on book suggestions listed below?

Steel Design - I have the 4th Edition of McCormacs book, not a bad introductory text but I'm looking to get into a little bit more meat. I heard Salmon and Johnson is good?

Masonry - Multiple people have recommended the Reinforced Masonry Engineering handbook (I currently do not own a masonry book, only the code).

Reinforced concrete - I have a packet of notes put together from my college instructor that is actually quite good. It leaves out a fair amount as I received it in an undergraduate course although I've been told to look into Nawy's book for more in-depth material?

Wood - I have Breyers book and it has served me well.

Mechanics - I have Hibbelers book and Boresi and Schmidts advanced text.

Analysis - I have Leet and Uang's book

Foundations - I could really use a good text in this area, I haven't had a chance to do much foundation design in my career up to this point and what I have done has been fairly simple spread foundations and wall foundations.

Anything other suggestions for books you found particularly useful would be appreciated as well!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work mostly in aerospace, but Peterson's Stress Concentration Factors and Roarks Formulas for Stress and Strain are two must-haves in my line of work.

I would add Reinforced Concrete Structures by Park and Pauley. It's not up do date code but covers RC in depth. Also my favorite is Prestressed Concrete Structures by Collins and Mitchell.
Both books will be hard to find though.

For a concrete textbook, I strongly recommend "Design of Concrete Structures" by Nilson, Darwin, and Dolan. The 14th edition is the most current release and it is up-to-date with ACI 318-08. I have used the 11th and 13th editions extensively and found them to be excellent references.

The 6th edition of the Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook is available from the Masonry Institute of America and it is excellent. It is written around IBC 2006 and ACI 530-05 so it is not too dated. It covers both ASD and LRFD in its examples.

For structural steel design, Salmon and Johnson is the best up-to-date choice. For a slightly dated but advanced text, I recommend "Design of Steel Structures" by Gaylord, Gaylord, and Stallmeyer (3rd edition).

Hokie93

A couple others I see now are
Structural Stability of Steel - Galambos
Theory of Elasticity - Timoshenko
Julius Blum Railing Catalog - this only gets used if I need a reduction factor to get a railing or anchorage to work

JoshPlum -

You seem to like the Basics of Retaining Walls" Book - Does it give any good examples on Soldier Pile walls (hand calcs). It seems like a short book, but your saying it is pretty good? I have thought a couple of times about buying it, but I thought it would just be filled with pretty pictures.

EIT

Fat books on broad subjects such as "Soil Mechanics" seem to omit what I want. To me, the following are altogether essential:

"Design of Shallow Foundations", ASCE Press, 1999, Samuel E. French
Chapter 11 asks for a "Kings X" on expansive soils, which aren't going away, but I like it very much anyway.

"Pile Construction Design and Practice", Taylor & Francis, 2010, Tomlinson and Woodward, is in metric units, but it's must-have.

Some one of various books by Lymon C. Reese is indispensable for lateral loads on piles and drilled shafts.

I don't actually have a copy of the Hugh Brook's retaining wall book anymore. It was the company copy at the last firm I worked for. Therefore, I cannot speak definitively about what isn't in it.

It is a fairly short book and the subject matter isn't really all that complex. But, it discussed the topics in a way that was a little more approachable for an SE rather than a Geotech. At the time, I hand't really worked on retaining walls much. It was definitely more helpful and practical than any of the Das or Bowles books that I had.

That being said, I do not remember soldier piles or dead men specifically. Though I think it may have had some discussion of tie backs.

Lots of good suggestions here. I'll add my two cents and try not to repeat what others have offered.

Roark's text WAS the one and only, but once you open Pilkey's, "Formulas for Stress, Strain and Structural Matrices" you'll never touch your Roark's again. Roark's book leaned toward the mechanical engring side, but Pilkey's text is straight up structural.

Blodgett's "Design of Welded Structures" has been rightly praised quite a few times here, though I often end up in his "Design of Weldments" book as well. (Warning: The two books overlap each other here and there...)

Budynas "Advanced Strength and Applied Stress Analysis" for mechanics.

Neville "Properties of Concrete". Regardless of whether you want to be or not, people will often expect you to be a concrete material scientist...

You could always stock up on a few Cliff Notes on the various books listed above too...

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

First, Thanks everybody for your suggestions and comments. I appreciate you guys taking the time to read and comment on my thread.

Second, I've made three purchases so far based on you folks suggestions and I intend to make a few more after I free up some $$$ from the SO. I've sent off for copies of Salmon and Johnson, Design of Welded Structures and the 6th edition of Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook.

Thanks again for all the responses everyone.

This is an excellent resource. I'm slowly adding to my library and my copy of Blodgett is already in the mail.

I also like Braja M. Das for Retaining Walls/Soils.

Does anyone have suggestions for metal stud framing? It seems we're doing more and more work with that and I'd love some suggestions.

Trundle-

I can't say for sure as I don't own the book but I'm sure this book would be helpful:
Cold-Formed Steel Design
Wei-Wen Yu

EIT

It may sound odd, but I strongly recommend the Civil Engineering Reference Manaual (CERM) and the Structural Engineering Reference Manual (SERM). They cover the very basics of structural engineering extremely well and in broad depth. Especially the CERM, but also the SERM, is typically used as an "all in one" reference book for the PE test.

Does anyone have a recommendation for seismic and wind lateral load analysis? Ideally the examples would be based on current code (ASCE 7-2005+)

For wind load, I really like SEAW / ATC 60: SEAW Commentary on Wind Code Provisions.

The one I hae goes up through the 2003 IBC, but there might be a newer one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back