Structural engineering market in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiredness

Structural
Apr 1, 2016
PT
Hi,

I'm a European citizen and in my country there are almost no opportunities to chase a structural career path. I have recently completed my graduation in a EUR-ACE certified course, and although I'm 30 years old, I've had some very good scores in structural analysis, concrete and steel structures (learned with the Eurocodes as well).

My question is if has someone from other European nationalities has attempted to work in UK specifically in structural branch, if the EUR-ACE label means anything, how willing is the market to take in someone older than expected, and overall experiences.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While I can't comment on the UK thing, with regard to being a little older, I also was around 28 after I finished my degree (started it at 25 I think). A lot of employers see being a bit older as an asset, I was paid more than many of the younger people who I studied with in my first job.

Unfortunately that's not my case. I've started when I was 18, and struggled with morbid obesity most of the time. Now that I've ended the degree I've worked out both problems, but I'm not sure how to address this in a interview.

"I had some health problems" although some employers might shy away from someone who might either miss a lot of time or cause their health insurance rates to go up. I'd be upfront (health issues), but not too upfront (details).
In the UK maybe employers worrying about health insurance is not an issue as it's all nationalized.

Regarding the time it took for you to earn your degree - it took me 8 years to earn a 4 year degree because I couldn't always afford to be a full time student. Sometimes I was part-time and some terms I couldn't afford any classes.

I too would be leery to state 'health problems'. I think I simply wouldn't bring it up - they might just think that you couldn't afford college all at once. Honestly I think it's none of their business why it took you so long. If someone were to ask you about it (they never asked me) I wouldn't feel bad about lying. I know that sounds horrible and I expect to receive a lot of backlash from posters but honestly there is no reason why you need to explain your health status (you said it was in the past) with a prospective employer. Tell them you couldn't afford college all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back