Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Engineering Rules of Thumb 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngstructural

Structural
Aug 17, 2004
CA
There have been some great posts skirting around this subject, however I really think we need a Tips & Tricks FAQ. With that goal in mind, I thought it would be good if we all posted the routine rules of thumb we use in our daily work, in order to perhaps learn some useful shorthand and tips or tricks.

Structural Engineering Rules of Thumb:

1. Beams need to have shear effects considered specifically (increased deflection, possibly reinforcement requirements in concrete, etc) when SPAN/DEPTH <=10

2. Beam design is normally deflection governed when SPAN/DEPTH >=25.

3. When checking drawings, looking at Moment/Plastic Section Modulus is a good guage of a section's sizing, even if using Limit States Design. Knowing the extreme fibre stress is a good "feel" for the beam size.

4. Always consider a minimum accidental eccentricity of 100mm in your construction. Increase this to 150mm in residential work.

5. Design shelf angles for the load at the very tip for strength (ULS), centre of bearing for serviceability (SLS). This ensures that any rotation of the beam at the support does not lead to overstress in the fixing; Particularly for stiffened angles.

6. When in doubt, add confinement to concrete. Curtailment of reinforcing should occur at a distance of 130% development length past the point where strength is last required, or Ld+d from support, whichever is greater.

7. To minimize the risk of timber floors (and all high frequency floors; Applies to Cold Formed Steel as well), check that the deflection is no greater than 1 to 2mm under a 1kN point load at centre. Do not consider T-Beam stiffening effect for this check unless the plywood is glued and screwed; slip and fastener loosening may not permit adequate composite action otherwise.

8. For steel and concrete beams, check the estimated natural frequency, equal to 18/SQRT(Total Deflection in mm), result in hertz (HZ). Use anticipated actual loads in this check (thus typically 0.25kPa to 0.35 kPa) rather than full SLS loads. A result of 15Hz or higher should be double checked with the point load check, a result between 8HZ and 15 HZ is likely okay, with likihood of difficulty increasing as the result decreases, and anything between 5HZ and 8HZ should be subject to a full accelerative methodology vibration check (such as the ATC guideline or CISC Guide 11). Picking the loading is very important, and entirely subjective; A good guide is to consider 30% of your floor load as the likely "routine" load. That way you are basing the load used on the code's anticipated exposure loads for the floor type. Remember that vibration problems normally happen under light loading.

9. For good ground checks in the field, get a metal or timber block made up which should impose the Ultimate Bearing Pressure required of the soil. Stand on this for a count of five anywhere you have some doubt over good ground. An indentation of anything more than a mark (so say greater than 1mm) is considered a failure. Example: I weight 100kg, my typical "Good Ground" value is 300 kPa Ultimate (rupture) bearing pressure, thus my block is roughly 57mm by 57mm.

I'll keep posting as I think of more.
Cheers all,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton)
Working in New Zealand, thinking of my snow covered home...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's irrelevant because if you make an error converting from feet to inches, you shouldn't be practicing engineering.

If you (the "royal" you, not you personally) can't handle a single conversion, I suspect your work is littered with incorrect assumptions, bad judgement and mathematical errors anyway.

I don't think being able to "handle" a feet to inch converstion is the point. Additional steps in any dimensional analysis are sources for potential calculation error. I think every engineer having worked with Imperial units has made this type of common blunder at one time or another.

Of course, there are always those engineers that don't have erasers on their pencils and feel compelled to convince everyone else to remove the delete and backspace keys from their keyboards since they are so obviously superfluous.

Respectfully, one of you should start a separate "which units are better?" thread instead of taking this one off on a tangent.

Rule of thumb: Ft-weight of steel beam= 3.6M/d (M in kip-ft, d in inches)

JK

JKStuct

You are correct indeed. My apologies.

Rule of Thumb:
Control Joint spacing for Concrete Slabs on grade:
Non-reinforced 2*t(slab thickness)= CJ spacing in ft,
Reinforced 7*t @ t=4", 4*t @ t=5", 3*t @ t=6", 6x6-W1.4xW1.4.

Back to the OP:

RE: point 9 - good ground checks

When checking the preparation of the sub-grade for a slab, road, etc, take a golf ball along, and bounce it as you wander around the site. (You don't have to throw it down hard - just casually bounce it in rhythm with your pace, just as you might while walking along a footpath.) Whenever it fails to bounce back up to your hand, mark the spot for compaction testing.

YS,

It is a good list I will pass it around the office. Although Item 9 is interesting we basically design for soil types and their relative bearing capacity and later confirm during excavation. For larger projects we insist on Geotech report.

Neilly Davies Consulting Engineers

Very interesting post.
I don't have much to contribute that beyond all have been said, only to add a little reminder:

"Do not blindly apply any RULE-OF-THUMB until one has accumulate enough knowledge in his/her field of work, and fully understand how and where the RULEs came about".

Sorry to be a spoiler of a wonderful party.

Rules of thumb make good starting points. Then run the numbers. They also make good sanity checks after the numbers have been run.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

kslee:

You haven't harmed the party at all... I think we often assume everyone's going to be rational and run the numbers, but that's just not always the case. It's good to have someone actually say it.

One more from my experience:

- Retaining walls should be attempted with "traditional" dimensions first, and make every effort to correctly size and balance the heel and toe. There are good reasons why these shapes (toe to heel from 0.45 of height to 0.55, etc) are so commonly found. Stability, sliding, etc are easy to satisfy with an oversized heel or toe, but the strength of these members will be very difficult to achieve.

Cheers,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton)
Working in New Zealand, thinking of my snow covered home...

sfat,

That is a very misleading rule of thumb. Depends a lot on the type of structure, and in most cases, I would say it is overly conservative.

Deflection of a beam, d=Mf.L^2/(10EI), where
. Mf= Midspan moment (Nmm)
. L=Span (mm)
. E=Young's modulus (MPa)
. I=Moment of Inertia (mm^4)
N,mm or any compatible set of units.

Most of my serious design stuff ups have begun with the senior engineer saying "This is straight forward, no need to think about it, just get to work."

@SDZ,
Bingo, it usually starts like that. I must tell you that good mentoring is hard to find, you just have to be really lucky. Most of the time, you have to figure it out yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back