Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Frame Check Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

gte682n

Chemical
Aug 12, 2016
US
Hello,

I have a project that will be hanging a new heat exchanger off of a distillation tower. I've attached some structural drawings to give an idea, realizing that this isn't complete detail for an in depth analysis. The nozzle projection from the tower has changed and will move away from the tower by 3 inches. Structural says that the existing design is fine to accommodate the change. This is not my area of expertise so I have nothing to challenge with. I just wanted some other eyes from this forum. Please let me know if I can provide any more details that would be useful.

Thank you,

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6f0b1be4-0278-4c29-9cb8-38625c0780ec&file=Doc1.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No one can do, as you suggest, an in depth analysis of this.
A 3" position change isn't much to consider with framing like this - it does add to the eccentricity on the supporting structural elements (the heat exchanger itself?) so there would be added forces on the connections of this framing to the exchanger.

If you don't have confidence in your structural engineer, for whatever reason, perhaps get a peer review on it from another firm.
Is there a reason you distrust your engineer?

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

1. "Structural framing please check". This is not a website that offers engineering services

2. "realizing that this isn't complete detail for an in depth analysis." If you know that this is not enough information, how do you expect anyone to offer meaningful comments?

3. "Structural says that the existing design is fine to accommodate the change. This is not my area of expertise so I have nothing to challenge with." If your structural engineer is qualified, and by self admission you are not, why do you have reason to doubt your structural engineer?

Ditto JAE's advice.

Like the others have said: if you aren't sure your PE/SE is competent.....go outside your organization.

One thing that would be outside of his scope is: if there is any net change of the thrust going into that exchanger.....that's a question for the manufacturer (of the exchanger) or possibly a mechanical engineer on staff who is familiar with pressure vessel design and so forth. If you are the PM on the job....be sure that question is asked.

Hello, this is a larger exchanger that is replacing an old one in the same location. The new exchanger is 10,000 lbs vs 6,000 lbs for the old.

I have no reason to distrust. I just wanted to get a gut check from others who have a better instinct than me. I wanted to make sure it makes sense that moving the point of a load would not alter the original design.

Thank you,

Moving the point load out and having a larger load all would alter the original design. Perhaps significantly. Your structural engineer should do a complete check of the whole structure, or at least any part on the load path that is affected.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

I should clarify that a new structural design was completed for the new, larger exchanger. However, this new design will not be updated due to the exchanger moving 3 inches further away from the tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back