Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Members end condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusty673

Automotive
Jul 23, 2010
US
Hey guys, this is probably a simple question but I was wondering i I could make structural member automatically sit flush (like a miter cut) to another structural member but between different parts?? i know you can use the trim tool but that has to be within a single part and I am using top-down design to create an assembly. if anyone has any ideas that would be great!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could do an assembly cut, but that wouldn't be too pretty. You could also use the insert new part tool to create the sketch you need to create the overall weldment which would then give you the trim tool.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

updraft... i went through the tutorial already... what they do is use the trim function in a PART. what my question was if there was a way to do it in an assembly BETWEEN weldment parts
before i post i do try to figure it out for myself and help/tutorials is the first place I go

Jeff.. i created the parts in the assembly to begin with and was trying that but i couldnt get anywhere... i could be missing something which is definatly possible. im just doing cuts in the assembly refering to the layout sketch for now..
thanks for the responses! if anyone knows a cleaner way let me kno

The other thing to look into is sub-weldments... all within a single part file. I think you are modeling your weldment in a sub-optimal manner.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Create just the skeleton sketch for the weldment in the part, then open the part separately to finish off the actual weldment.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back