Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

structural plan standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTSeng

Structural
Jan 21, 2003
US
Just curious how other handle pojects with multiple levels and types of construction. Some seem to cut sections thru the building while others group related work.

Using sections cuts some show basement foundations on separate plans from neighboring upper level foundations while others show all foundations on one plan. Using section cuts for framing plans some showing walls above the framing level in detail with walls below hidden while others show walls below the framing level only. For roofs, sections thru the building put lower level roof framing on the same plan as neighboring floor framing while others show all roof framing on one plan.

Is there an official standard? AIA?

I guess every job is different and some just don’t fit in the usual box.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Architects like to show the walls above the floor structure below.

As this confuses me structurally, I like to show the floor/roof structure above and the supporting structure (walls and beams) below.

I also like reverse-polish logic.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Same as Mike here. Foundation plan shows structure above, all other levels show structure below.

I like reverse-polish too but does that mean most non-engineers prefer the polish logic?

The plans should, at all times, clarify the design of the structure from immediately below the floor to just above the floor. Non-structural items can be shown in half tone just so you remember they are there. Walls below are usually shown with hidden lines, above, solid lines. As usual, there are exceptions to these rules but only if it clarifies the intent of the structural design.

Sounds like you need to spend some time with a real structural draftsman. I spent years (1963 to 82) as a draftsman before going over to 'the other side'. I learned things they don't teach in college.

Old CA SE

For me it depends on the size of the building and also if there is an architect and/or the architect's drawing quality. For a single-story wood framed building, I'll tend to show building sections in addition to a basement/first/roof plan. I can be more clear about how everything interacts, and considering the level of builder competence I usually deal with, more information is essential. You also get more dropped beams, headers in walls, etc with wood, which is more complicated to present clearly in plan format.

For a multi-story steel building, then it would be appropriate to present drawings with the typical floor by floor type approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back