Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

structural reliability of PCB mounting a SMT style RJ45 pcb receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelt

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2003
CA
Given a choice between thro' hole RJ45 board mounted connector and SMT style of same I would prefer the thro' hole. For long term physical reliability risks due to stresses from Cat5 cable installation in the field, and fatigue on the solder joints from thermal cycling with cable load.
In my application there is no space for external strain relief or wire loop.
I am under pressure to save the $1 assembly vs SMT on a very cost sensitive product. I don't trust using the plastic housing to "clamp" the connector as it is unlikely to prevent strain on the pads "quickly" enough as it will deflect too.
So, if the team here insists on going SMT have any folks out there got any recommendations for board design (pad size / vias / etc.) of the "mechanical" pads and the conductor pads for reliability? Any suggestions for a good connector, and any supportive or cautionary tales on using SMT for this or similar connectors?
Thanks,
Nigel T

"You will master any feeling of inadequacy you may be having"
....from my fortune cookie @ the buffet!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

follow the manufacturers recommended land pattern..
right angle or straight?
the straight ones have a fairly large extra tab to provide "strain relief"
and many of the RA ones feature either extra through hole tabs on the shield or other tabs..

There are some connector options that are surface mount but still have plastic snaps in the housing that snap into holes in the board. A quick look around turned up these, look at pgs 23-25: Amphenol ModJack Catalog

The solder joints will still see stress but the snaps should help some. This should be pretty easy to prototype and test to see what abuse the solder joints can take and if the snaps help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back