Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Structural Ridge Rafter Thrust 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

cap4000

Civil/Environmental
Sep 21, 2003
US
The IBC code is clear as long as there is a structural ridge beam with posts no thrust will occur at the exterior walls. Therefore no heel connection design is required. Is this because of plate action of the plywood. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. When I place the snow load perpendicular along the slope of the rafter and not along the horizontal thrust forces occur. This is easily verified with Ram Advanse.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If we are talking about applying wind to the inclined member then yes I agree there will be a horizontal reaction (sorry if this is what you were talking about the whole time). Because in the example shown in the link the wind only acts perpendicular to the inclined member and there is no axial component.

EIT

While its not indicated in the diagram the calculated axial force is 4.2 kips in tension it for wind or snow loading perpendicular to the beam.

Sum of Moments = 0
Sum Vertical Forces = 0
Sum of Horizontal Forces = 0

Six of one = 1/2 dozen of another (in terms of quantity, unless dealing with a Baker in which case 6 of one will in fact equal 6.5 of other, but in either case I would suggest the sum of the vertical forces is still zero whether the Baker has eaten the 13th roll or not).

Toad: Can I have a doughnut?
Cap4000: Can I suggest to throw out the Ram analysis on this? Do it by hand. In 5 minutes or less using either method you will have your answer which, if you like, submit all the calcs for verification here. There will be zero thrust from snow and you will have a lateral force component from wind. 2 separate calculations -very simple -very straight forward. That is unless your supports are different from a global x/y cardinal direction or you are doing something with them to make them settle or move etc. but even so that can be dealt with.

cap4000 - To use the "sloping beam method" per Figure 2.6b (your attachment page 16 of 81) you can not ignore the axial (parallel to the beam) component of the snow. The wind condition not having a axial (parallel to the beam) component gives a horizontal reaction. In the "sloping beam method" the 1242 lb parallel to the beam axial force shown has a vertical and horizontal component. The 2484 lb perpendicular to the beam force also has a vertical and horizontal component. These horizontal components, when added together, equal zero.
And because these horizontal components equal zero we can ignore them and use the horizontal plane method. Which does not break the snow load into parallel and axial components.

BAretired - It has been HOT and HUMID here in the Phoenix area. I apologize for letting it get to me to the point that I left the “working engineering methods” that is the purpose of this forum to wander down the paths (and being less than polite about it) of the theoretically and technical explanations which are not part of this forum.

Garth Dreger PE - AZ Phoenix area
As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

suffice it to say that the confusion arising from using FEM software is that the user might not be aware the the thrust reactions that show up in the results are a second order in nature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back