Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

STRUCTURAL SOFTWARE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preet

Structural
Feb 18, 2002
CA
Hi, fellow engineers. I would like to know what software the industry uses the most for structural design, and also whether it is possible to get training in this software at a computer training school. STAAD Pro seems to be quite famous.......thank you very much.

Preet

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In Spain the most used programs are those of CYPE.

Look for it or CYPECAD.

I also use RISA-3D.

Then you have even deeper programs such SAP 2000, ABAQUS, ALGOR, NASTRAN, STRAP, SC PUSH and many others more targeted to specific fields such ADAPT. All those sold use to enjoy training one way or other.

This has been discussed many times before. See the following previous discussions:

thread507-15149
thread507-13538
thread507-9013
thread507-7964
thread507-7222
thread507-614
thread507-601

If you still have questions then ask away. X-)
Imagineer

There are several trade magazines which profile software used in the structural industry. I would recommend that you look for those profiles on the appropriate websites. Off the top of my head, AISC has a yearly feature in "Modern Steel Construction" and may be found on the website Structural magazine also provides information on software and may be accessed at
I hesitate to have this discussion proceed beyond this information as many people have strong opinions about the state of software today and who provides the best product. This naturally leads to flames which eventually result in the loss of the original post.

Good Luck.

I think STAAD/Pro is a great software. Depends on what you are doing, however. If you are looking to do timber design, try WoodWorks. If you are looking at concrete design, ACI makes some good column/beam design programs. If you are looking at steel, STAAD, Strudl and SAP are the best. But if you are looking at all three (good luck!), STAAD would be the closest to doing it all. It has a good/clean interface (not as good as some of the mechanical software)with advanced analysis features.

CYPE for RC is the best one I ever seem, for steel you may also take a look at Prokon (good prices), RISA and the best (concerning to confiability)of all but little trick to use the SAP2000 and his brother for framed structures ETABS, both from CSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back