Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Structural Steel Design Software 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

action

Structural
Jul 18, 2001
US
our structural steel fabricating firm is looking for a structural steel design software package which can be used to design steel structures and connections. Can anyone recommend a good software package?? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could try STRUCAD which is a relatively new structural steel software package which my company has recently employed for designing structural steel and is also very useful for designing the connections required
Hope this helps

If your company supplies and erects portals, CSC(UK) provide a first class plastic analysis and design package called FASTRAK. It also has a module for connection design.

CADS also supply a 2D or 3D analysis package which may be linked to a steelwork member design package which is also very able and user friendly. They also have a package called 'Smartsuite', which carries out elastic-plastic analysis and design of portals, and also does connection design.

Hope this assists.

I'll support Chandr advice,

XSteel 6.0 is wonderfull for steel structures detailing, fabrication and erection planning, it's also very friendly to use once you get his way of working (I kind tricky). But it's not a design software, as long as I know, and I'm I user, XSteel has modules only for connections check and based in ASD only.

The only restriction I could see concerning XSteel is that you should use his own generated drawings, post editing them under Autocad is painfull, and mustr say useless because any changes made to the model won't be reflected at your Autocad drawings.

One can't develop a complete design under XSteel you need a side program like Staad (grrrr), SpaceGas (XSteel can import the input files).

Another option for steel structures DETAILING is HyperSteel and this one have a major advantage it's an Autocad "ad on" object ARX based. I'm starting trying, soon I'll more info.

that's my 2 cents

cheers

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back