Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

structural steel drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't think of a textbook that's going to help you. AISC has (had) two books "Engineering for Steel Construction" and "Structural Steel Detailing" that show some limited examples of drawings, but the former is more oriented toward design and the latter, toward detailing.
I learned by getting a set of drawings and asking questions of a senior engineer. I suspect most engineers do it the same way. It's not rocket science, but it does involve good two or three dimensional thinking skills.

I think some of the local junior colleges offer courses in "Blueprint Reading" intended for construction people. You might locate such a course, visit the college bookstore, and see what textbook they use for that course. Or try Amazon.

I had a required course in my BS program called "Graphic Communication" which was all about reading drawings.

I learned a lot of my drawing skills in College and picked up the rest in the field but I would suggest doing what JedClapett said, just grab a set of drawings and sit down with it. A computer helps as well as most of the acronyms can be googled.

I had limited experience in college reading plans. The important thing to do is ask questions to a senior engineer that has been reading plans for years. You see a lot of things over and over so it will not take you long to look at a set of plans and know whats going on. Asking questions is the most important thing about the learning process.

Check out Lincoln Welding's web site - they have a book on reading drawings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back