Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Steel Fireproofing - Intumescent Coating Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krausen

Mechanical
Jan 1, 2013
US
General question for forum - I'm looking at replacing several structural steel beams on a structure that have historically been fireproofed with concrete. I'm interested in going back with new structural beams that are fireproofed with intumescent coating instead. These members would be hot-dip galvanized first, then coated with the fireproofing intumescent coating. Any general comments or advice on this approach? Do vendors that hot-dip galvanize steel members typically offer intumescent coating as well in their shops/facilities?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am unaware of galvanizers who also apply secondary coatings but it is not exactly my space. I would think it would go from the fabricator to the galvanizer, back to the fabricator where they could apply another coating if they have the right setup. They will need to do some painting in the field as connections and such will need access and then a final coating.

Check with the coating manufacturer to see if their product can be used with HDG. Also check to see if their coating can be used in a HDG environment. Many coatings are interior only.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Another issue or maybe not if you choose to ignore it, is intrumescent fireproof vendor may require certified installer. Your usual contractor may not be certified to fill those block out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back