Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

structural wood glue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HouseBoy

Structural
Nov 21, 2005
US
My client needs to make a load bearing column out of maple that will be 3.5" x 3.5"
They can not get a 4x4 solid maple piece and so they are planning to make a "built-up" column.
They MIGHT go with 3.5" x 3.0" BUT... they don't want to use mechanical fasteners, they only want to use glue.
They have asked to use a structural glue (they are thinking Tightbond 2) along with as few fasteners as possible.

NDS indicate built up columns with nails and with bolts but nothing with screws. I'm a little concerned about nails in hardwood (although I don't know if that concern is justified)

Load is about 3000# (600 DL and 2400 LL)
Column height is 10 ft floor to ceiling.
There is no opportunity for bracing.

I'm interested in knowing if there is specific glue I can specify that will eliminate the need for mechanical fasteners.

Also interested in any insight about screws vs nails for hardwood. I'm thinking that either way (screws or nails) they will be pre-drilled.

For a 2) 2x4 column, NDS indicates 10d common wire nails at 6" o.c. alternating sides and staggered. If similar size finish nails could be used, maybe that would be acceptable but again, I'm not sure how softwood requirements apply to hardwood.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hardwood and resorcinol adhesive must be glued at elevated temperature - not room temperature. It will not bond properly if glued at room temperature. It is very different than gluing softwoods such as Southern Pune and Douglas fir. And yes, glued laminated hardwood is a very good option and the codes recognize the AITC Standard 119 "Standard for Hardwood Glued Laminated Timber" which falls under ANSI A190.1-2017

Andreas

Thanks LaminatedTimber... didn't know that higher temperatures were required for hardwoods... only used it for DougFir...

Dik

The glue I mentioned in my previous post can be used on hardwoods at room temperature i.e above 70* F. However it takes 7 days to reach full structural strength, although the glue joint can be un clamped and handled after 12 hours. If you are using urea formaldehyde glues be aware that Acid catalyzed glues exhibit better cross linking than alkaline cured glues.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back