Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structure inside larger building - Wind Load? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

therattler

Structural
Aug 3, 2004
US
I am designing a platform which will sit inside a large building, no real exposure to wind. Is there a minimum wind pressure I should consider anyway? I have seen "5 psf" used on interior walls, what is the origin or basis of this?

Thanks
Rattler

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 5 psf is supposedly due to differences in internal/external air pressures and otherwise I think its a feel good empirical number.

For a building in a building, I'd be tempted to go a bit higher, simply for safety sake - and also check seismic as that would probably govern over the 5 psf.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not. In NYC we fabricated a metal and glass tower in a large hotel atrium (fully enclosed). We were advised by our structural engineer to use 15 psf. We have also been advised to use that figure on elevator lobby metal and glass partitions, but I have not read this in the code myself.

If it has people on it and they all step the same direction, that gives the platform a shove in the opposite direction. That may not normally be considered in the loading, but is more likely the actual load that needs to be considered.

I have run into this on ladders and similar items, where the codes only specify a vertical load, but if it's too flimsy-feeling laterally, it's not a good thing.

The IBC and all its predecessor codes require a 10 psf minimum wind load, whether indoor or outdoor.
Also, I agree with jstephen, if it is a people load, a min. lateral force of 10% of the live load should be used. Especially, if dancing, or similar types of movement is possible.

Seismic may very well govern. I would use 5psf lateral live load OR 10% of the total applicable live load applied laterally if seismic didn't control.

In non seismic applications these mezzanines are typically tied into the existing columns and/or existing exterior walls and I typically take care of the lateral loads thru those elements. (no new lateral shear walls or braced frames required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back