Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Struggling to get my footing in Mechanical Engineering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenewME

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2012
Hello fellow engineers and engineers to be, new member here looking for advice and insight.

Heres the situation Im currently in. Last year I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. My overall GPA was a 3.1 and major GPA of 3.3. The problem is I never had an internship in my field during college (major mistake on my part, that I regret), mainly due switching into ME late into college and having to catch up with courses.

Ive spent a year searching for a job in the field with no success, due to the lack of experience. How do I gain experience if no one will hire me because of lack of experience? Ive looked for post-grad internships (that dont pay) and haven't had luck there either.

Im sorry for the long first post. Im looking for advice from experienced engineers and those that have been in a similar situation on how to begin my ME career. At this point, its feeling hopeless and don't know where to turn.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I missed out on co-op and internship opportunities due to military commitments. When I graduated, I made up for it by doing short-term contract work (drafting & design).

Are you limiting your search to a particular industry and/or geographic location? I know that there are industries and locations that are starving for new blood. I didn't do Co-Op either (mostly due to stupidity on my part and a horrible explanation of what it was by the guidance guy), and regretted not doing it. Even without Co-Op I had offers from companies in three industries in 3 different states (but my grades were a touch better than yours and I had 6 years in the Navy before college). My point is that ME is a big field and the range of companies that hire ME's is vast.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

I made the same mistake of not going after summer internships in mechanical engineering and also spent close to a year looking for engineering work after graduation. Networking eventually landed me a position. Keep in contact with friends from college, reach out to family friends, acquaintances. Finding someone willing to recommend you is the easiest way to land an interview.
In the mean time don't overlook work in manufacturing / field work, they can be just as valuable as white collar work experience.

Comprehension is not understanding. Understanding is not wisdom. And it is wisdom that gives us the ability to apply what we know, to our real world situations

thenewME I didn't do any internships either (less common when & where I went to school plus I got rejected from the one I did apply for and a bit of silliness on my part) and managed to get a job within 4 months of graduating and my grades probably weren't quite as good as yours (though the translation of UK to US grades isn't simple).

Different time and place so not condemning your for taking a year+ just trying to show it can be done.

We occasionally take post grad interns though we do pay them (not very well though as I understand it) so keep looking at that option as a second string approach.

As Zdas mentions are you somehow limiting your search, be it industry, location or even search technique (maybe over reliance on 'online' resources?).

Also, were any of your courses/projects... more applied? Could you explain them in a way that makes them seem like 'experience'?

On the short tirm contract gigs, my concern would be that when I get someone like that in I expect them to be able to be up and running very quickly and from what I've seen most new grads wouldn't cut it. Now if you do have some strong drafting/design skills you may be able to leverage it but be careful not to get defined as a 'CAD Guy' or similar.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

You need to do something to separate yourself from all the other zero-experience graduates.

Take some classes at a votech or adult night school in things like machining, or welding.
Start personal projects that you can show as concrete evidence that you have an aptitude for mechanical systems. Build a robot. Build a gokart. Design your own model aircraft. Write yourself a computer simulation of some kind. Document your project in a way that you can show off in an interview.

Most of the fresh grads I have interviewed have been mechanically inept. Presumably they went for an engineering degree because they didn't know what else to do, or because they were pressured into it by parents. Show you have an interest in the field beyond "hey, I heard it was better than underwater basket weaving" and you will put yourself ahead of 95% of your competition.

As far as entry-level goes, candidates with good shop skills get more attention. Welding is good. Also do what you can to get some CAD skills.

Thanks for the replies.

To answer some questions. I apologize if I miss any.

Am I limiting myself:
I am limiting myself a bit by only looking online through my school's career site, Indeed.com, SimplyHired.com, and etc (believe I saw that is frowned upon on this forum). Also I am limiting myself by only searching for jobs in NJ (where I live) and NYC but not by a particular industry.

Also, were any of your courses/projects... more applied? Could you explain them in a way that makes them seem like'experience'?
Yes to graduate we had to complete a senior design project, that lasted two semesters (it incorporated everything we learned in our ME courses). It included CAD work, FEA analysis, technical report, and etc. Also I have taken courses in Pro Engineering, Autocad, Ansys, I-DEAS and Mathlab. I have many projects for those classes including a major final project. I have taken an elective course in Vibration Analysis, where again we had to complete a project. Those are just a few I can think off of the top of my head.

What is the nature of your lack of success? No interviews, or interviews, but no offers?

Id say its a bit of both, Ive had interviews but no offers. Ive been told directly its due to my lack of experience. Most of the interviews have come from my friends/connections. Ive had more "no interviews" though, which Im assuming is due to the experience issue.

When I graduated, I made up for it by doing short-term contract work (drafting & design).

In the mean time don't overlook work in manufacturing / field work, they can be just as valuable as white collar work experience.

Take some classes at a votech or adult night school in things like machining, or welding.
Start personal projects that you can show as concrete evidence that you have an aptitude for mechanical systems. Build a robot. Build a gokart. Design your own model aircraft. Write yourself a computer simulation of some kind. Document your project in a way that you can show off in an interview.

Thanks for those tips. I really like the idea of taking some classes to learn machining or welding.

There are a bunch of threads on here with job search tips - I'd take a good look.

Just relying on job sites is massively limiting yourself as well as showing a big lack of initiative.

At least apply directly to any companies that catch your fancy even if they aren't explicitly recruiting.

KENAT said:
There are a bunch of threads on here with job search tips - I'd take a good look.

Just relying on job sites is massively limiting yourself as well as showing a big lack of initiative.

At least apply directly to any companies that catch your fancy even if they aren't explicitly recruiting.

Thanks, Ill take a look at those threads. I know Ive been limiting myself a bit my just searching online.

Not a ME but I have had luck in my own career by getting active in the local professional societies related to my field. Give those a shot. Yes, they cost money to join but you may find that you can attend events for free if you really want to. It's an excellent way to build a network and make some connections while also showing a little extra initiative on your part which will help differentiate you from the competition. Having a strong network and good networking skills is vital in todays job marketplace.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Why would someone invite you to interview for a position if they can see your lack of experience on your resume?

Are you sure their decision was because of lack of experience?

"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." -Scott Adams

kylesito said:
Not a ME but I have had luck in my own career by getting active in the local professional societies related to my field. Give those a shot. Yes, they cost money to join but you may find that you can attend events for free if you really want to. It's an excellent way to build a network and make some connections while also showing a little extra initiative on your part which will help differentiate you from the competition. Having a strong network and good networking skills is vital in todays job marketplace.

Im part of ASME but haven't taken part in their events. Thanks for the tip.

EngineerErrant said:
Why would someone invite you to interview for a position if they can see your lack of experience on your resume?

Are you sure their decision was because of lack of experience?

Can't answer those questions, only make assumptions. Im assuming they took the time to interview me because of the references/connections that got me the interview. It could possibly be that the interview didn't go so well and add onto that the lack of experience.

EngineerErrant (Mechanical) 17 Jul 12 16:50 said:
Why would someone invite you to interview for a position if they can see your lack of experience on your resume? Are you sure their decision was because of lack of experience?

In some cases it is, others you can't really tell. I had one interview where they talked with me over the phone (the HR department and one other management person) had my resume and asked questions, knew I was just out of school with only a single internship that wasn't related to their field and still flew myself and my fiance out to meet and interview and show us the area for a weekend. They talked with me for hours, toured the company, took us out to a nice dinner and drinks around the town to see nightlife and get to know us then the next day they wanted to meet up and talk a little more informally and that's when they decided I didn't have enough experience with their line of work for what they wanted.

I would assume this isn't the norm because that gets pricey to fly out candidates and take a full day to interview/tour and not get much work done besides that then just say too bad a few weeks later in a f.o.a.d. letter as my future father in law calls them.

Going in to a place in person is a really good idea to inquire about positions or bring by a resume and make sure that it really shines helps a lot! If you don't have the work/interning experience you need to show case on your resume what will make you stand out because the "real world" and school are two completely different worlds.

Also look into still finding an internship possibly? Might be some for post-grad or recent grads that do pay or possibly contract to full time positions? I don't know about up there but maybe even look into the local news paper for some job postings or with the state department?

AgeXVII said:
Going in to a place in person is a really good idea to inquire about positions or bring by a resume and make sure that it really shines helps a lot! If you don't have the work/interning experience you need to show case on your resume what will make you stand out because the "real world" and school are two completely different worlds.

Also look into still finding an internship possibly? Might be some for post-grad or recent grads that do pay or possibly contract to full time positions? I don't know about up there but maybe even look into the local news paper for some job postings or with the state department?

The section I made bold in your post is exactly my problem.

I do plan to still look into post grad internships, its near impossible to find one though. Like I mentioned, I would be willing to take one without pay just to get the experience. Haven't looked at contract jobs but someone mentioned it earlier, plan to apply to those. Looked through a few local newspapers and most of the engineering listings seem geared towards mid level engineers.

I don't know about big companies, but having the following in my resume got me a job not long ago.

Try the following in your resume (Please Google and make sure you know the basics of the following)
- Basics of GD&T
- Basics of P&ID
- Understand the basic Hydraulic Schematics
-Understand the basic Electrical Schematics
- AutoCAD Viewer
- Able to interpret Blue prints

Please try to have a good understanding of the following
- Drafting
- Solidworks (Parts, Assembly Modeling and Drafting) ( a lot of growing manufacturing companies use soldiworks, they want someone out from school to grow with them)

Mid-west is well known for Oil and Gas Industries
North east has mechatronix,
California has more HVAC than other states,
etc. etc...

Do research according to your interest. The first job is something that is most likely to shape your career.

Best of luck.

One sure fire way to show competence as a mechanical engineer is to prove you have mechanical competence. Most, if not all graduates have had the requisite CAD, FEA, and other courses as well as some sort of "design project". They really don't prove the graduate has any idea how much torque can be applied to a grade 5 1/4-20. Completion of a design project in school does not prove you can review data and make a decision. Thats what Engineering really is. Making educated decisions.

First rule of thumb I use is if the candidate I am interviewing works on their own car or not. You want an educational project? Rather than taking more courses (which just prove you have some self discipline and are good at reading and taking tests), maybe you should start restoring an old car. It will absolutely add an interesting aspect to your resume that will intrique prospective employers and will prove you have "real" mechanical aptitude. Make yourself different and show in some way you are capable of the challenges your potential employer may give you.

John7474 said:
I don't know about big companies, but having the following in my resume got me a job not long ago.

Try the following in your resume (Please Google and make sure you know the basics of the following)
- Basics of GD&T
- Basics of P&ID
- Understand the basic Hydraulic Schematics
-Understand the basic Electrical Schematics
- AutoCAD Viewer
- Able to interpret Blue prints

Please try to have a good understanding of the following
- Drafting
- Solidworks (Parts, Assembly Modeling and Drafting) ( a lot of growing manufacturing companies use soldiworks, they want someone out from school to grow with them)

Mid-west is well known for Oil and Gas Industries
North east has mechatronix,
California has more HVAC than other states,
etc. etc...

Do research according to your interest. The first job is something that is most likely to shape your career.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the tips. The ones that I made bold are those that I currently understand/learned. Will start learning about those mentioned.

bcd said:
One sure fire way to show competence as a mechanical engineer is to prove you have mechanical competence. Most, if not all graduates have had the requisite CAD, FEA, and other courses as well as some sort of "design project". They really don't prove the graduate has any idea how much torque can be applied to a grade 5 1/4-20. Completion of a design project in school does not prove you can review data and make a decision. Thats what Engineering really is. Making educated decisions.

First rule of thumb I use is if the candidate I am interviewing works on their own car or not. You want an educational project? Rather than taking more courses (which just prove you have some self discipline and are good at reading and taking tests), maybe you should start restoring an old car. It will absolutely add an interesting aspect to your resume that will intrique prospective employers and will prove you have "real" mechanical aptitude. Make yourself different and show in some way you are capable of the challenges your potential employer may give you.

Its funny, cars are the reason I got into ME. Ive worked on my car and my friends. Nothing major like getting into the internals of the engine (pistons, rods, camshaft, and etc); just installing headers, uppipe, downpipe, catback, turbo swaps, and etc. Ive also worked on building a computer and repairing random electronic devices in my free time.

None of those were placed on my resume though.

Please make sure you really have a reasonable understanding of things before you claim you do, the quickest way I'll nix a candidate is if I believe they are exaggerating (also known as lying) on their resume.

For instance on "- Basics of GD&T" If you can't calculated the required positional tolerance for a simple fixed fastener case (and how much the holes will benefit from MMC at the extreme) without needing to dig into you notes/text book then you really don't understand the basics of GD&T.

The other thing to remember is not all potential interviewers/employers are identical and may not value exactly the same things. For instance I doubt if too many people at my employer would be overly impressed by you doing your own car maintenance, despite this often comes up as something many others on this site take as a positive.

I'm not saying don't play to your strengths/take advantage of anything you can, just remember that there is no universal right answer for some of this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back