Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strut and Tie Models for Concrete Pilecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroStress

Structural
Oct 15, 2012
GB
Hello

Usually the strut in the STM is in compression but I have seen many cases where the struts come out in tension. For example when a pilecap has a large bending moment and it experiences lift off on one side, this would result in some of the struts being in tension.

Eurocode gives guidance on how to design compressive struts but no guidance on what to do with tensile struts.

Can anyone help me with this please. What do you normally do with a tensile strut? How do you design the reinforcement in the tensile strut region?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you've built a truss and are assuming that some areas are struts, you need to remove them from your model if analysis indicates that they go into tension. If you need that tension for stability then you need a tie in that location for that load case, and you will need to put bars in.

It is not unusual for some areas to be struts in one load case or load direction and ties in another.

ZeroStress said:
How do you design the reinforcement in the tensile strut region?

- Depends on your local code but, in my area of practice, bars will be sized to 0.75 x Fy x As for the tensile demand.

- Keep an eye on anchorage of your tension ties at nodes. That's often more critical that the quantity of bar required.

- In proportioning your ties, give some thought to how much strain is implied by your design. Strut and tie doesn't have much to say about serviceability but, obviously, it still matters.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back