Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stubborn gas defect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipara12

Industrial
Aug 21, 2023
US
I am having trouble resolving a gas defect on my product produced in a grey iron sand casting process. The gas defect occurs opposite the gates on the cope side. Most affected cavities are furthest away from the sprue any ideas to resolve issue are welcome
16926458000728383291472311178089_mqxnz3.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately i cannot share sprue runner and gating design due to confidentiality constraints but i can share that the sprue is 135 degrees clockwise from the defect, the ingate is 180 degrees to defect location. Pattern is 5 on so long runners to go around center cavity.

Yes the mold has vents. So far i have tried to contain turbulence by controlling the shock transferred to the mold flasks as they shuttle down the pourline. This reduced the scrap rate from 16% to current 8%. Any ideas on other factors i should look into?

What about inlet turbulence in the pour?
Can the cup and sprue be altered to help that?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Ran a trial with a wider pour cup in an attempt to control pour times and head pressure with minimal to no effect. Planning thinner cross sectional area ingate trial based on EdStainless suggestion. Hope to see some improvement. I believe @ EdStainless your rational is a less turbulance into the cavity faster freeze time for the gates with a smaller cross section, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back