Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stuck boring machine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's astonishing that geotech would cost $100million. This is the pattern. Spend the money on the nebulous zero value added portions of the job. With the amount of money already allocated is geotech ever going to return a report of unfeasible?

concur...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Tomfh said:
The ground has lots of surprises.
When, as I’ve heard, Portland’s Tri-Met was preparing to build the tunnel through the West Hills the Geotech had worked up the subsurface conditions under the two tracks of the east approach. The approach wasn’t straight but managed to straddle a long defunct creek bed. Addressing that slowed getting the boring machine into the rock.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

...after spending $100M, it shouldn't have. There's always the possibility for something different happening with soils. The general geology of the soils/formation should have been determined. This would be a 'heads up'. I'm pretty sure there was an element of negligence.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

...but your grandchildren, will be burdened by, and paying back your excesses! Almost seems selfish. [pipe]

-----*****-----

-Dik

dik, you might not know or recall, #2 was roughly quoting US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt during his New Deal unprecedented expansion of the public debt...

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Didn't know that... thanks. I suspect that one day, it will be time to 'pay the piper'. With apologies to Alistair.

-----*****-----

-Dik

My 01:17 post was intended as sarcasm, but poorly indicated :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

It may help if you use the sarcasm font:
[sarcasm font] .....[sarcasm off] grin

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Confused... did FDR make those statements?

-----*****-----

-Dik

thanks...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Thanks SnTMan. Your Google skills outpace my own. I couldn't find that quote.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back