Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stuck in EPANET 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

boedekek

Geotechnical
Jun 5, 2013
I am a GIS, NOT engineering intern for the City of Bloomington Utilities Department and have been given the tall task of creating a water quality model for all of the water pipes within the water system having a diameter greater than or equal to 12 inches. I have been working on this model for over a year using the users manual and various engineering forums as guidance. Unfortunately, I have had no values to reference my numbers (ie time pattern, pump curves, total head at reservoir etc.) and because of my relative unfamiliarity with the program am not sure if these values are even in the acceptable range of values to have a successful run. All the engineers and my supervisor at the city are also unfamiliar with the this program and it is solely up to me to create a successful water quality model. I know everyone is busy with their own jobs, but I was wondering if someone could look at my .net file and offer me suggestions that could help fix the many errors I encounter when I try and run the program. I really can't figure out the errors unless I have an EPANET expert look at them as I have little experience. Additionally, does anyone know of any EPANET experts in Bloomington Indiana that I could contact for help? I will email you the .net file from my google drive account.

Thanks
Kent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only the humidity in Houston is worse. Relative humidity here isn't all that high. How high can it actually get at 125[°]. In all fairness I should say that the next 6 months of UAE weather is probably going to be as great as it is every winter. The only part that I don't like is to have to leave the beach because of darkness coming much earlier than in the summer months. Similar to living in Australia and Argentina in that respect; the nice weather comes in January.

Independent events are seldomly independent.

Thanks, 77JQX.

==========
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Hello fel3,

I have been off the project for about a month as the budget ran out and haven't been checking the thread. From all the information you provided, I believe that my supervisor could use a civil/mechanical engineering intern to get this project done as an unpaid school project. Thanks for all the help!

boedekek

Boedekek…

Thanks for the update and you're welcome for the help. Even if you don't continue on this project, I hope you have gained something from the information and critiques I offered.

IMHO, I don't think another intern and doing this as an "unpaid school project" is the right approach, though. If your boss is really interested in answers to the questions she posed when she got you started on this work, then it's time to bring in a consultant to finish the model and do the appropriate analyses. This isn't my call, of course, but that's what I would do.

BTW, I didn't respond last week because I was camping with my wife in a remote stretch of the California coast south of Big Sur and we had no cell service or internet connection. That's not always a bad thing. [smile]

==========
--Winston S. Churchill

Fel, I'm just getting started with EPANET. I was googling around to look for a tips and came across this post. Excellent work! Hopefully it got put to use in Bloomington. If not Bloomington I'm sure others (like myself) just getting started with the software will read through this and find it useful.

kpf…

Thank you for the kind words. If you get stuck let us know. There are several people here who know EPANET pretty well. I prefer the commercial programs such as WaterCad because they have more bells and whistles, but EPANET is still a very capable program and best of all, it's free.

Fred

==========
--Winston S. Churchill

Fel3,

I might even pay you to check our city's model!

Great review. We just started on a straight GIS export into EPANet and have many of the pipe issues you identified.

Thanks for sharing your review with a larger audience.

Ed

Thanks, eea. You are welcome to check my profile, then Google. I don't have a website yet, but can be found easily enough.

==========
--Winston S. Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back