Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stud Wall Connection to Hollow Core Podium

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack36

Structural
May 20, 2009
US
I'd like to get some feedback on how other engineers detail the connection of wood stud walls to a hollow-core slab podium level. I initially wanted to upset the steel beam with the top of the hollow-core slab near the top of the beam. That would allow me to shop weld threaded anchors for connecting the stud wall directly to the top of the steel beam (Steel beam, 2" topping, then sill plate). That seems like the most direct connection to the steel framing and it should be easy for anything special that is needed for hold down anchors.

I'm questioning whether that is the best way to go now. I have some interior beams that run parallel to the slab span (only partial length of slab), so those would likely need to be lowered below the slab. I would prefer to keep my top of steel uniform, but that will require I bear the slabs on top of the steel beams.

I would appreciate any input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you bear the planks on the steel beams and have them knock out some cells to place anchors (throughbolts or welded anchors)? Then just have them grout over it. We do it frequently for block and plank buildings, but I assume a similar procedure can be used for steel beam supports. Personally, I always stay away from precast podium levels because of the connection details.

Thanks Mike for the input. I believe I'm going to upset my exterior beams and lower my interior beams below the slab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back