Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Studying Engineering with Physics degree 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

echosmyron

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2006
CA
Hi all. Great forum, lots of good advice. Here's my question...

I have a BSc in Physics and have work experience mostly at a technologist level in various industries. I find that most of the "good" jobs out there that interest me require an Engineering degree if not PEng credential.

I have been looking into entering into a Mechanical Engineering program to get my career a boost. On paper it looks like I can get credit for most of first year Engineering at the local university and go right into second year. Of course I'd have to make up the few firsst year applied science courses.

Does anybody have experience with this type of transition into Engineering?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might actually be able to enter a Masters of Mechanical Engineering program with a BS in physics. You might have to make up some Junior/Senior level engineering classes, but it would probably be quicker than starting over with a BS..

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Back a number of years ago I remember reading about one of the civil engineering master degree programs (in the US, by the way). There were only four or 5 core undergraduate classes required to start the master's program. Now, those undergraduate courses probably had prerequisites in math and stuff, but you should have them. But that would be my first way to approach it here in the US.

I agree with the above posts. A Master's may be a better option for you. Good luck!

Depending on your experience you can get into engineering with a degree in physics. Both physics and mathematics are considered relevant by companies requiring engineering people. The only problem is getting past the recruitment agencies and HR people who aren't the brightest of people, let's face it. The bits of engineering you might need, you can pick up over the years. In the UK you can also get chartered status (equivalent to PE) without having a degree in engineering, again it depends on your experience gained in engineering. If you really want qualifications in engineering then you could go for a Master's as everyone says. Personally I think it'd be a waste of time. I doubt if you'd need to make up for lower engineering classes as you've probably covered that work anyway.

corus

Corus is correct,

I worked at Southwest Research Institute for a few years, and there were a significant number of my colleagues that had physics degrees but were basically doing mechanical engineering work.

Corus is also correct in that it may be hard to get by HR.

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

It really depends on the work that you want to do. Becoming an analyst, particularly in the fluids or thermodynamic areas, might be a pretty easy jump. On the other hand, getting into machine design would be tougher.

However, without experience in a given area, you're unlikely to get hired. Entry-level positions are tough to find outside of university placement programs.

I endorse the suggestions above regarding an MS program. That's almost certainly the best avenue if you're amenable to additional schooling.

--------------------
How much do YOU owe?
--------------------

When I as in the navy, many of the nuc officers with science degrees completed engineering masters later on.

Some states (WI is one) have a path to achieve PE without an ABET accredited degree. Experience requirements are greater, but it is still quite possible.

I have looked into graduate programs. At the only university in my area that offers a Mech program, it's possible to get a Masters with a BSc in Physics. However, the hurdle for me would be to get the three reference letters for entry. I could probably get one from my manager at my last job. Even then, the uni prefers that the application has done industrial research with that employer. Getting academic references would be even tougher for me since I'm almost 10 years removed from getting my BSc and not in touch with any of my profs from that university.

Here in Canada, I believe the only way to achieve PE is with the Bachelor or Masters degree and 4-5 years engineer-in-training work experience.

After some more information gathering, I have found out that I wouldn't be able to get registered as a Professional Engineer (my ultimate goal) in my province without a Bachelor degree in engineering. So a Masters wouldn't really help me.

Obviously you are from Canada, and likely Ontario (since you mention P.Eng).

First off, whoever or wherever you found that you can't get a P.Eng without a Bachelor's degree in Eng is totally wrong.
You can absolutely get a P.Eng without a undergrad engineering degree, it's just tougher.
At the very least, you would be required to take some courses that cover design (which your BSc. didn't). You may need.
A Masters in Eng. will definitely help you out on that.

FYI, a co-worker has a Life Science degree and got her masters in engineering. She now has a P.Eng (after taking some addn'l courses and working for some time).

One of our EE has a physics undergrad degree and went on to get a MSEE. I also knew a guy at CalTrans who had an undergrad degree in english then went on to get a MSCE & PE.

Hello echosmyron,

FYI.. I have a friend who has a chemistry degree and applied to a Chemical Engineering Programme and was accepted as a "mature student" right into the 4 year (here in Ontario, Canada).

She actually did the 3rd and 4th year (this was her choice) since she felt she could use some more background.

Here is my 2 cents, someone with your experience and degree should not have to start in 2nd year. Perhaps 3rd or 4th year.

Good luck and best wishes,

Joseph

SylvestreW: I got this right off the the APEGBC web-site (
"Academic Qualifications
To obtain your P.Eng. status you must demonstrate that you have met the minimum academic requirements. For Canadian applicants this normally means that you have a bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited Canadian university program."

It goes on to say...
"If you do not have an undergraduate degree in engineering from an accredited Canadian university program, your academic background will be assessed and you may be assigned academic examinations."

If I had to study for all the extra exams that they require, wouldn't I just be better off doing it in a Bachelor program? I'm about 10 years removed from getting my BSc in Physics, and have to honestly say I've forgotten a lot of the content.

Not to mention that the Masters programs I have looked at require 3 academic or professional reference to even be considered. That would be tough for me since I've had no contact with my profs and would probably only be able to get a reference from my manager at the last company I worked for (he's not even an engineer).

josephv: Your friend likely had credit for 2nd & 3rd year courses in the ChemEng programme. I can't see a university giving someone placement that far into the programme without the transfer credits. Here in BC, the engineering universities require all courses be completed during the degree or by transfer credit. I'd love to start in the 3rd or 4th years, but just don't see it happening.

I'm not trying to be mean, but if you've been out of school for ten years and can't get three references, it seems to me that you need to look harder. Salesmen, vendors, sub-contractors, fellow workers, cousins, etc. Make a few more posts on this website and some of your new colleagues here will probably give you a reference.

Also, contact the chairman of the engineering department at the school you want to attend and explain your situation, find out exactly what the university is looking for in a reference. Don't count yourself out before you've tried. My experience with reference letters to get into school is that they are a formality. The university is selling something and they want your money, they aren't going to deny you a chance. I agree with the advice to pursue a master's degree. But I also wonder why you aren't interested in graduate work in physics.

"I'm not trying to be mean, but if you've been out of school for ten years and can't get three references, it seems to me that you need to look harder."

I have no problem getting work-related references. They are asking specifically for academic references detailing academic performance, etc. Alternatively, professional references outlining industry research (which I haven't done). I haven't got to far into looking into the Masters option, but you're right, it's definitely something I should consider.

Graduate work in physics doesn't interest me. I found in my experience that I prefer practical applications type work, the jobs I gravitate towards are in the realm of engineers. Doing theoretical research doesn't appeal to me.

I think you need to call the chairman of the engineering department and have a talk, now. No one can expect you to provide relevant academic references after ten years.

Furthermore, "industry research" can mean anything. Anytime you figure something out it's research.

If you hurry up and get your university application in, you might be able to attend the next semester. You can always agree to enter on probation. If you don't make it after trying there won't be any doubt, but if you don't try you will always wonder.

In the US, I wound up going getting a second bachelor's degree in engineering rather trying to go straight for a master's degree because of the licensing problem. There are some states that just plain won't license you if you don't have the undergrad degree, even if you have 3 PhDs in engineering.

I'm glad I did it. I would have had a much harder time in graduate school if I'd tried to go right in, with all my classmates coming from undergrad engineering programs.

At my school, a second bachelor's degree meant that everything was negotiable. After a long conversation with the dean, I ended up only having to do 5 semesters to get the engineering degree because I had all the calculus, physics, chemistry, and humanity/social science classes covered in my previous degree.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I'm having the same concerns. I have a BS in Physics and a BS in geology. I hHave been accepted into a graduate engineering program in Civil(structural) engineering in Florida where i work and am finding out that w/out the BS in Engineering, even w/ the masters may not be able to sit for professional registration. I'm looking for answers to this from my state board but have had no response yet.

Yup. I have heard this many time in the US and Canada.

It is easier if you have a bachelors in engineering to sit for the PE/P. Eng. The other way, with a masters, is also possible, just not as easy/straight forward.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back