Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Studying Engineering with Physics degree 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

echosmyron

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2006
CA
Hi all. Great forum, lots of good advice. Here's my question...

I have a BSc in Physics and have work experience mostly at a technologist level in various industries. I find that most of the "good" jobs out there that interest me require an Engineering degree if not PEng credential.

I have been looking into entering into a Mechanical Engineering program to get my career a boost. On paper it looks like I can get credit for most of first year Engineering at the local university and go right into second year. Of course I'd have to make up the few firsst year applied science courses.

Does anybody have experience with this type of transition into Engineering?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was in the same boat 10 years ago. Physics was fun, but the salaries and job opportunities were nothing compared to what was open to engineers. I went back to school and came out two years later with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. Since then I've always had a good job and salary. I got licensed 4 years after graduation.

Good luck to you.

Hi Echo- I had a similar experience to what you are describing. I obtained a Bachelors in Design of Architecture. Worked some, though not as an Architectural Intern.

Then, figured I could increase my salary and marketability faster and better by getting a Civil degree. Quite a few hours transferred from the Architectural degree which was a huge help.

I had not even taken Calculus, which I assume a Physics Major would have already. I had to spend an entire year "qualifying" to enter the Civil program by taking 2 first year courses prior to being admitted in to the Engineering College. It seems to me that you would probably only be taking Engineering specific courses. You would most likely have your electives and Lib. Art courses already.

You might would be able to graduate in a couple of years. I have never regretted getting an Engineering degree. It is too bad you can not get some experience in an office doing the "good" work you are talking about before you take the leap for another degree.

Have you been to a University and discussed your ineterest with a professor in the Mechanical department? They might help you get more perspective on your decision by educating you on the process to obtain the additional degree...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back