Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Studying for SE II exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIT12

Structural
Feb 14, 2010
US

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am trying to decide if it's necessary to purchase the
AISC Seismic Design Manual or NOT. It is quite expensive and I am not working at the moment. Does anyone know
if I will absolutely need it for the STRUCTURAL II exam?
I have all the other reference books, I just don't have this one. I'm hoping I can do without it, that the AISC 13th Edition Manual is sufficient to solve the Steel problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might be able to do without. The seismic building portion of the SE II exam for me involved a masonry building.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Thank you Qshake, masonry building would be my preference.

Thank you JAE. You just saved me a boat load of money. It looks like I will be busy this week.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am hoping the free downloads at AISC is sufficient to handle the seismic steel
design. I've looked at the AISC Seismic Design Manual again and it does include the ANSI/SISC 341-05 and the ANSI/AISC 358-05 (What is this?). Like ARLORD said, it also has
examples that are helpful.

Am I taking a gamble here by not purchasing the book? Money is kind of tight right now.

I do not have much experience designing steel structures in high seismic regions.

Depending what state you are taking it in, you may not be allowed to bring in looseleaf. The only bounded material allowed in IL is the AASHTO book.

The AISC Seismic Manual has a lot of valuable examples in it, not just related to seismic design.

Chances are you will see all building materials on the SEII exam.

Thank you AlienMonkey for your reply. I am in AZ, we are allowed to bring looseleaf here. I may get the book eventually, I hope I can pass without it in April.

Too bad for me that I live in a state where passing SE I is not enough to be a PE, I must suffer through the SE II. All of you living in States where the licensing is not discipline specific, consider yourself lucky. I know all this suffering will be worth it when I pass and can finally put this nightmare exam to rest.

Tangent: what do the states who "don't allow looseleaf" do about manuals that are only published in looseleaf form?

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

3-ring binder, a.k.a. "looseleaf binder"? Then there should be no problem with the home-printed PDF of the AISC manual either. It's not just AASHTO--last I looked the MUTCD was "looseleaf" as well.

Illinois say: "Ring binders, spiral binders, plastic snap binders, brads, and screw posts are acceptable fasteners."

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

What is your risk factor? You can save the cost of the book and pass the exam and be ahead or fail, buy the book and pay for the exam again.

Really, if you are taking the SEII, and want to be a licensed SE you should already have this book on your shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back