Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Studying for the PE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Civil/Environmental
Apr 22, 2010
US
This is not a thread on "How do I study" as that's not really what I need to know. I'm not eligible to take the test until October of 2013, but I have considered getting materials together and working my way through the CERM and other references. I realize some folks may say it's too early/too much/etc, but I've got my reasoning for wanting to do that.

My study decisions aside, I'm curious as to if buying reference materials now is smart. The 12th ed. of the CERM just came out March of 2011, and the 11th ed. was back in 2008. Is it safe to assume that same release schedule for updates? The same goes for various exam prep books (with practice material and the likes). I realize those are probably more prone to more frequent re-releases, but would I find myself ill-prepared if I bought some sooner than later?

I appreciate the help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looking at the NCEES website, I see that the Design Standard section of the civil PE exam was changed in Jan 2012. I have never look at the CERM so I can't tell you if there would be a significant change. (Though I don't expect that there would be.)

Go to the ncees website click on the specific exam and review the BREADTH and DEPTH exam specifications and compare it to the Table on Contents of the CERM.

Personally, I would get the CERM and start studying and gathering and using my references. The more familiar you are with them the better off you will be.

Richard

Aye - thanks Rich2001. I'll do a little research there and check out the CERM. I may try and contact the publishers of the CERM to see if they included the 2012 updates as part of their 2011 revision. They may have known they were coming and updated to the new codes that came out last year. Thanks!

I used the ME book and half of the test it just knowing where to look up stuff. I would assume the CE exam would be similar in that 80-90% of the meat of the exam are the same formulas that have not changed in +20 yrs.

The biggest thing i see (assuming you know engineering) is knowing where the key formulas are in your books, I.E. having practiced using them, because time is not your friend.

I studied and passed the FE in 2010 with a 10 year old FERM. I called PPE and they said a section had been added to the test, biology or environment, I think, no other changes. Simple find & read a table question.

The structural guys usually get nailed in this area. If you are going for a structural PE (probably not) I would wait a little longer to start gathering books.

With regards to the CERM I doubt it really matters what addition you have. (although I'll admit I don't know how the test changed for 2012). Most of the information in the CERM are principles of engineering and thus do not really change (ie manning equation, strength of materials, etc). However the afternoon session of the exam is much more specific and therefore I'd recommend making sure you have updated editions of AISC, ACI, etc. Al

I politely disagree with jdengineer - the CERM is updated to keep up with the test, and you definitely want the most recent version. As to when another will be coming out, you can email or call PPI (the publishers) and I'm sure they'd let you know, since last time I checked, the author is the president. info@ppi2pass.com

@nicoga3000: NCEES updated reference standards in January 2012 (IBC - 2009). Before that NCEES updated reference standards in 2008(IBC-2006). IBC has 3 year cycle. I guess the next update would likely not occur before 2015. But like slta suggested, you may call PPI and also NCEES.

I have no idea how often they update their standards. I don't even know if it revolves around the IBC. I do know that you need to check with NCEES to see what standards are going to be referenced for your specific test. Current reference standards can be found here:

Interesting that you are taking the civil-structural exam. I took my exam in October 2004. My jurisdiction required me to take the now extinct Structural I examination. Is there a specific reason why you are not taking the full structural examination, jurisdictional requirements maybe?

I'm going to get in touch PPI and NCEES tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

@SteelPE The reason I'm not taking the Structural exam is because of what I do for a living. Realistically, I don't do enough classical design to feel comfortable with the material being tested. I could possibly take it at a later date, but passing the PE is my first order of business!

I understand the situation you are in. If you are not doing structural all the time it will make it more difficult to pass the exam. I know a guy who is having a difficult time with the exam because he mostly works with wood. He is a great guy to talk to and learn from but since there is not much wood design on the exam he is having some problems.

What happens if you pass the exam but and then in the future take the structural exam and fail? What happens to your license?

This is something I have wondered about with my license. If I were to go an take the structural exam for another state and fail, would I loose my license in the stated I am currently registered? I understand the reasoning for the more in depth examinations..... but it appears that they are making a mess out of the requirements on the structural side of things.

I do a lot of concrete and steel, but my structures are non-standard, so we use a lot of specialized procedures. Regarding your licensure, I wouldn't imagine that your PE is revoked if you don't pass the SE!

To tell you the truth, it's not something I really want to mess around with.

Back on subject. I don't know what their cycles are for replacing codes, but I would imagine that they would make a few switches between now and October 2013 (like switching the AISC code).

You might also want to consider picking up the SERM as well.

nicoga3000:

I took the Civil-Structural combination for the Civil PE exam in October 2011 and passed it. Following are my thoughts:

Morning section: Although I had about a dozen books with me, I ended up using only CERM 11th edition. I did not use any reference codes such as IBC, ASCE 7, AISC or ACI since the morning section tests your general understanding of civil engineering principles. Sections on Construction, Geotech, Structural, Transportation and Water & Environmental where all answered by CERM 11th edition.

Afternoon section: I did not use CERM for the afternoon section at all, since almost all of the questions involved looking up relevant sections in different codes. Sections on Loadings were answered by ASCE 7. Sections on Lateral loadings like wind and Earthquake were answered by ASCE 7 and IBC. Make sure you study and tab all the sections and be familiar with even the footnotes below tables and charts. Questions on Steel, Timber, Masonry and Concrete are answered by AISC, NDS, ACI 530 and ACI 318 respectively.

In addition the practice problems provided in "NCEES: Civil Structural Sample Questions and Solutions" and "Six Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Structural Problems" helped me immensely. These books helped me study different sections of different codes which are not dealt by CERM 11th edition.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back