Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'stylish' enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrg

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2003
US
Hi,
I am working on a home project that puts a small LCD display on the dash of the car. I'm using a plain rectangular plastic enclosure for the display at the moment but am looking for something that looks a little better, maybe triangular in shape, roughly 5" long, 3" vertical and about that deep. I have not had any success in tracking this down, any source suggestions?
Thanks,
Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ZZzzzzzztttt .... Phfft.

ZZzzzzzztttt .... Phfft.

ZZzzzzzztttt .... Phfft.

Nope. Mind Meld Machine is broken.

At least tell us what kind of car, if you can't provide a photo of the dash.

Or go to Pep Boys, buy something that looks zoomy enough, and gut it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Also try automotive web sites. You won't find anything in the automotive stores (worse the guy will try to sell you something you don't want).

Besides there are more automotive sellers on-line than in-brick.

Thanks Bradrs, I think this will work-they have some cool units. Kind of pricey (at $40) but a far better deal than making something myself.

Have a look at Custom Design Technologies - they use a simple technique of folding flat sheets of plastic to provide enclosures that are more interesting than simple boxes. Also a nice looking label can brighten up a rectangular box.

Now here is a perfect job for a 3D printer. Find someone, (probably 3 of your neighbors have them), with a printer and have them print you exactly the box you need. They can trivially include board mounting bosses too.

Alternatively breakout your saw, a handful of colored Tap Plastic ABS, PVC, or Acrylic scraps, and a tube of WeldOn glue and make exactly what you want. Sand the corners.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Now here is a perfect job for a 3D printer. Find someone, (probably 3 of your neighbors have them), with a printer and have them print you exactly the box you need. They can trivially include board mounting bosses too.

Alternatively breakout your saw, a handful of colored Tap Plastic ABS, PVC, or Acrylic scraps, and a tube of WeldOn glue and make exactly what you want. Sand the corners.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Make your own enclosure. Buy styrene sheets (about 1/8th inch thick) and:

1) Score it with an X-acto knive and steel ruler, and break it off along the cut.
2) Use sand paper to sand the edge smooth/flat.
3) Use solvent (in syringe) to bond the several panels together to create the enclosure.
4) Sand the connection between the styrene panels to make it appear it is made of 1 part
5) Spray paint it with a rattle can.

Voila.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back