Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Styrofoam for embankment fills

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2002
TJ
Okiryu - further to my comment in the open forum, send me your email and I will forward a number of articles and refernces I collected in the past - I gave a talk in India on the use of lightweight fills. Styrofoam is interesting in that 1 m of soil is in the order of 70 m of styrofoam. It does float, though, and that has to be taken into account - but in some cases like this, a system of pvc pipes tied together vertically have been used as well.

Like Ron said, I, too, have used light weigth foamed "concrete" (Elaztizel) on a job and it worked out brilliantly.

BigH = bohicafries at the most common gmail email!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@Okiryu....as you've noticed, BigH is pretty awesome. Take five years of his experience and you have an entire career of most engineers!

Hi Ron...yes, if I just could take a little bit of the experience and knowledge from all the great engineers in ET, it will be awesome !

I'm late to the party, guess that is what I get for taking the weekend off.

We have used EPS blocks for a couple of designs under roads. Works well, just have to make sure it doesn't float on you. Be careful during construction; we had one start to float on us when it was about three-quarters complete.

Instead of trying to develop support parameters for the EPS, I would place a meter or so of crushed stone between the EPS and the pavement. That way the pavement design isn't dependent on the EPS. This will also help ensure that there are no point loads on the EPS which could over stress the material.

Mike Lambert

we are also about ready to deploy foamed glass aggregate on a highway job too. Aeroaggregates does have resilient modulus values for their product.

f-d

ípapß gordo ainÆt no madre flaca!

I have only used it to lower the earth pressures on a residential retaining wall which had a car porth above it. One thing to remember is to cover your expanded light weight fill with 1000 gauge polythene as petrol, diesel spills can dissolve it

Okiryu,

Just sent you today (30 Jan 2020) a presentation I made on lightweight fills at IIT (Kharagpur) and separately about 15 refernces. Let me know you got them.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back