Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sub-Beam on top roof-slab to support additional wall load at the centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

manjun_papanna

Civil/Environmental
Sep 22, 2023
IN
Hi, Can I make addition of Sub-Beam on the roof-top which the roof/slab existed for about 15 years ?
The design is that roof-top slab is of 175MM thick is measuring 6.36 Mtr by 6.36Mtr and all four sides of the Roof-Slab supported and designed with sufficient Beam underrate and is column connected on all four corners.
Now As I plan to raise one wall exactly at the center of the Slab at 3.15 Mtr on the X direction, which would add additional load in the middle of the existing Slab. The wall will be of 125MM thick 4.5Mtr high with intermediate lintels at every 1Mtr.
As I understand, I can insert inverted beam at the centre where the wall be raised and entire inverted beam load rests on the either-side of the roof-under-the slab beam so that I create atleast 50mm space between existing roof-slab and the newly created beam on which the I can raise wall.
Or, I can simply cut/chipping of the existing slab upto 25-50mm to make sure slab's reinforced steel is exposed and add inverted beam on this while connecting new beam's reinforced steel to existing steel members in-side the roof by way of welding so that entire load of the newly added beam and any additional wall load, etc... directly rests on the beam and transferring to the existing slab.
Please suggest any options available. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back